Krishna to talk to Maldivian foreign ministerApril 2nd, 2012 - 5:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 2 (IANS) Nearly two months after a sudden transfer of power in the Indian Ocean atoll nation, Maldivian Foreign Minister Abdul Samad Abdulla arrived here Monday on his first visit abroad to intensify consultations with India on the situation in his country.
Abdullah is set to hold talks with External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna Tuesday, external affairs ministry spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin said.
Issues relating to political stability and progress on talks on early elections are among key issues that will be discussed, informed sources said.
In the wake of the Feb 7 transfer of power in the Maldives that ousted the first democratically elected government of Mohamed Nasheed, India had sent Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai to Male twice to assess the situation and help mediate a political settlement among feuding political parties.
In early March, Mathai helped broker a deal which envisaged a broad consensus for early elections in a “quick timeframe” and a growing recognition of India’s role as a facilitator in resolving the political crisis.
But there has been no tangible progress on early elections.
In his talks, Krishna is expected to press his Maldivian counterpart to stick to the roadmap unveiled by Maldives President Mohammed Waheed Hassan and endorsed by key political parties.
- Amid flux, India to get Maldives situation update (Lead) - Apr 02, 2012
- Maldives president to visit India in May - Apr 03, 2012
- India urges Maldives parties to stick to roadmap - Mar 02, 2012
- India brokers deal, Maldives parties agree for early polls (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Maldives welcomes India's role, Waheed to visit New Delhi (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Maldives' new government agrees to hold early elections - Feb 17, 2012
- Waheed meets Manmohan, commits to early polls in Maldives (Second Lead) - May 12, 2012
- Nasheed 'happy' with India's approach: Ex-minister - Feb 16, 2012
- Waheed, Manmohan discuss Maldivian polls, economic ties - May 12, 2012
- Maldivian president arrives in India - May 11, 2012
- India pushes for early elections, Maldives parties agree - Feb 29, 2012
- Nasheed meets Manmohan to discuss Maldives future - Apr 23, 2012
- India pushes for early elections in Maldives, parties agree (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- Mathai heads to Maldives to push for political deal (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Mathai in Maldives for talks amid deepening crisis (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
Tags: abdulla, counterpart, external affairs minister, external affairs ministry, facilitator, foreign minister, hassan, krishna, mathai, mohamed, nasheed, political crisis, political parties, political settlement, political stability, roadmap, spokesperson, tangible progress, timeframe, waheed