Krishna says UAE probing Indian fisherman’s killingJuly 17th, 2012 - 4:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 17 (IANS) The authorities in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) are probing the killing of an Indian fisherman by personnel on board a US naval vessel off Dubai, said External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna Tuesday.
“The government in the UAE has already filed the case regarding this incident,” Krishna told reporters here, a day after the firing from a US navy ship at a small fishing boat in which an Indian fisherman was killed and three others were wounded Monday off Dubai in the tense waters of the southern Gulf.
US defence officials say the motorboat ignored non-fatal warnings not to approach the refuelling ship USNS Rappahannock, and that sailors on board the American vessel feared it could pose a threat.
Krishna said India was collecting details of the incident and “will initiate suitable action”.
“We are in touch with the authorities in the UAE and have instructed our ambassador (in the UAE) to take it up with the respective governments.”
The minister said it is an unfortunate incident and offered “the government’s condolences to the family of the (dead) fisherman”.
- India for probe into US deadly attack on fishermen off Dubai (Roundup) - Jul 17, 2012
- India plans action over fisherman killing by US warship (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- UAE probes Indian fisherman's killing by US ship (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- US ship didn't warn Indian fishermen: Dubai police chief - Jul 19, 2012
- India plans action over fisherman killing by US warship (Second Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Time to frame rules to protect our fisherfolk (Comment) - Jul 23, 2012
- US condoles death of Indian fisherman in shooting - Jul 17, 2012
- US assures India of probe into fisherman's killing - Jul 20, 2012
- India trying to repatriate body of killed fisherman - Jul 17, 2012
- US Navy ship fires at boat off UAE coast - Jul 17, 2012
- Get compensation to families of Indian fishermen: Jayalalithaa (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- US insists fishing vessel was warned before firing - Jul 18, 2012
- Get compensation to families of Indian fishermen: Jayalalithaa - Jul 17, 2012
- Fisherman killing: India seeks transparent probe from US - Aug 09, 2012
- Awaiting envoy's report on Indian fisherman's killing: Krishna - Jul 19, 2012
Tags: ambassador, authorities, condolences, defence officials, external affairs minister, fisherman, fishing boat, governments, India, july 17, krishna, motorboat, naval vessel, New Delhi, rappahannock, sailors, suitable action, unfortunate incident, united arab emirates, us navy ship