Krishna meets Brazil president ahead of IBSA summitSeptember 1st, 2009 - 8:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 1 (IANS) External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna Tuesday called on Brazilian President Lula da Silva ahead of the fourth IBSA summit of India, Brazil and South Africa, and stressed the need for accelerating connectivity between the three emerging economies.
Krishna emphasised India’s abiding commitment to IBSA, which symbolises the spirit of South-South cooperation, the external affairs ministry said here.
During his meeting, Krishna stressed the need for improved air links and enhancing investments for IBSA to achieve even more tangible results.
Krishna is in Brazil’s capital Brasilia to attend the ministerial meeting of the IBSA countries that will firm up the agenda for the fourth summit, likely to take place in November.
The IBSA brings together the three emerging economies of Asia, Africa and Latin America in quest of a bigger voice for developing countries in the West-dominated multilateral institutions. The three countries seek to synergise their clout on global issues ranging from multilateral trade talks and climate change to the UN reforms and energy security.
The first IBSA summit was held in Brasilia in 2006, followed by the Johannesburg summit in 2007. New Delhi hosted the third IBSA summit last year.
- Krishna to leave for Brazil Friday - Aug 27, 2009
- India,Brazil, South Africa to engage in 5th IBSA Summit - Oct 12, 2011
- IBSA ministers to meet Tuesday - Mar 07, 2011
- UN, security, economy, environment focus of Pretoria visit: PM - Oct 16, 2011
- PM leaves for IBSA summit, focus on global economy - Oct 17, 2011
- A day in the life of summit-hopping Manmohan (Brasilia Diary) - Apr 16, 2010
- Manmohan Singh to attend two summits in Brazilian capital - Apr 14, 2010
- Krishna likely to meet Khar, IBSA foreign ministers in US - Sep 14, 2011
- India calls for 'better surveillance' to tackle financial crisis - Sep 02, 2009
- India pitches for UN reforms, global anti-terror treaty - Apr 16, 2010
- Manmohan arrives in Brazil for IBSA, BRIC summits - Apr 15, 2010
- Manmohan Singh wants nuclear summit to focus on terrorism, proliferation - Apr 09, 2010
- IBSA agrees to focus efforts on implementation of their initiatives: PM - Apr 16, 2010
- Manmohan Singh leaves for Brazil - Apr 14, 2010
- PM leaves for US, Brazil -- to attend summits (Lead) - Apr 10, 2010