Krishna heads to Tajikistan to boost Central Asian tiesJuly 2nd, 2012 - 5:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 2 (IANS) Against the growing strategic importance of Eurasia and Central Asia, External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna Monday headed to Tajikistan on a two-day visit to expand diplomatic and strategic ties with the the strategically located country and region.
In capital Dushanbe, Krishna is expected to hold comprehensive discussions with his Tajik counterpart and the Tajikistan leadership on India-Tajik bilateral relations and on the situation in the region.
Given the growing strategic importance of the Eurasia region, including Central Asia, in India’s foreign policy, Krishna is expected to outline India’s policy priorities in this region, the external affairs ministry said here.
Krishna is expected to outline a roadmap to accelerate India’s engagement with the energy-rich region in all spheres, including political, economic and people-to-people relations.
He is also expected to discuss enhanced defence cooperation with Tajikistan. India has its only overseas military base in Tajikistan, which is operated by the Indian Air Force in collaboration with the Tajikistan Air Force.
With the new focus on people-centric diplomacy, Krishna will also address a regional conference of Indian ambassadors and heads of missions in the Eurasian region.
During this year, Krishna has held such meetings of the Indian heads of missions on a regional basis in Singapore, Cairo, Abu Dhabi, Madrid and Havana.
- Krishna to go to Tajikistan - Jun 26, 2012
- India to gift e-network to Central Asia - Jun 10, 2012
- India courts Tajikistan to swing Afghan endgame - Aug 31, 2012
- Indian envoys' meet: Cyber security, Arab Spring on agenda - Sep 13, 2012
- Experts advocate 'cooperative geopolitics' with Central Asia - Jan 18, 2012
- India issues advisory for students bound for Eurasia - Oct 19, 2011
- Krishna goes to China for SCO summit - Jun 04, 2012
- 'India faces six challenges in Central Asia' - Jan 16, 2012
- (HOLD) Krishna leaves for SCO summit in China - Jun 05, 2012
- Shinde to represent India at SCO summit - Nov 23, 2010
- India, Tajikistan upgrade ties, sign four pacts - Sep 03, 2012
- Krishna, in 'holding room', with Zardari at Beijing - Jun 06, 2012
- India to pitch for investment-driven Afghanistan revival - Jul 06, 2012
- India eyes larger regional role with SCO membership - Jun 15, 2011
- Krishna to pitch for regional approach on Afghanistan - Nov 30, 2011
Tags: abu dhabi, bilateral relations, central asia, counterpart, defence cooperation, diplomacy, dushanbe, eurasia region, external affairs minister, external affairs ministry, indian air force, indian ambassadors, krishna, military base, new focus, policy priorities, regional basis, regional conference, roadmap, spheres