Krishna heads to Cambodia for three regional meetsJuly 8th, 2012 - 9:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 8 (IANS) In keeping with the importance India attaches to its Look East policy, External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna would be travelling to Phnom Penh, Cambodia, to attend three major regional meetings July 11-12.
Krishna, who was in Tokyo Sunday to participate in the international donors conference on Afghanistan, will attend the ASEAN-India Ministerial Meeting, the 2nd East Asia Summit Foreign Ministers Meeting and the 19th ASEAN Regional Forum Ministerial Meeting in Phnom Penh.
The ASEAN-India Ministerial Meeting, an annual event, takes stock of the ASEAN-India partnership and deliberates on its future direction. India became a Sectoral Partner of ASEAN in 1992 and a Dialogue Partner in 1996. The relationship was upgraded in 2002 to the level of an Annual Summit Level Partnership.
The 10th ASEAN-India Foreign Ministers Meeting is significant as India would be hosting a special ASEAN-India Commemorative Summit Dec 20-21 to mark 20 years of the relationship and 10 years of the summit level partnership. A series of events have been planned in the run-up to the Commemorative Summit, an official statement said.
India has been part of the East Asia process since 2005, as a founding member. EAS Foreign Ministers would discuss cooperation in the five core areas of education, energy, finance, disaster management and pandemics as well as connectivity and further economic partnership between the member countries. Regional and international issues of concern and the preparation for the 7th East Asia Summit, which is to be held in Phnom Penh in November this year, would also be discussed.
Krishna will also participate in the 19th Ministerial Meeting of the ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF). Set up in 1993, the ARF has 27 members. India attaches importance to the ARF as a forum for constructive dialogue on political and security cooperation in the region with the ASEAN countries playing a central role in the process, the statement said.
- India steps up ASEAN diplomacy, Singapore PM on way - Jul 09, 2012
- Ahead of ASEAN summit, India to host Mekong-Ganga meeting - Aug 13, 2012
- India pitches for ASEAN pact in services, investments - Jul 11, 2012
- Krishna heads to Bali to boost India-East Asia ties - Jul 20, 2011
- India for fast-tracking ASEAN highway links - Sep 04, 2012
- Krishna thanks Pakistan for help to Indian passengers - Jul 10, 2012
- ASEAN-India officials meet in Cambodia - May 27, 2012
- Krishna sets stage for India-ASEAN summit - Jul 22, 2009
- India, Asean want to 'connect' in the physical, virtual world - Feb 13, 2012
- India unveils pan-ASEAN car rally for 2012 summit - Jul 22, 2011
- Economic downturn lends urgency to India-ASEAN partnership: Manmohan Singh - Nov 19, 2011
- Krishna to represent India at India-ASEAN Ministerial meeting - Jul 20, 2009
- US wants close ties with ASEAN - Jul 11, 2012
- Prime Minister to embark on three-nation Asia tour on Sunday (Part II) - Oct 22, 2010
- India, ASEAN set to sign FTA at Thailand October summit - Jul 22, 2009
Tags: asean countries, asean regional forum, constructive dialogue, dialogue partner, disaster management, donors conference, east asia summit, economic partnership, energy finance, external affairs minister, foreign ministers, india partnership, international donors, level partnership, ministers meeting, phnom penh cambodia, regional meetings, security cooperation, statemen, summit level