Kosovo intends to open 20 embassies in 2008March 13th, 2008 - 11:36 am ICT by admin
Pristina, March 13 (Xinhua) Kosovo’s government is planning to open almost 20 embassies all over the world, Deputy Prime Minister Hajredin Kuqi has said. “Within this year Kosovo is trying to open its embassies in different countries of the world,” Kuqi said in Pristina Wednesday.
He did not elaborate in which countries Kosovo is seeking to have the first diplomatic missions. It is expected that Washington, Brussels and capitals of some leading European countries would be the first host cities for Kosovo embassies.
Kosovo’s declaration of independence is strongly opposed by Serbia, and its ally Russia. Serbian Foreign Minister Vuk Jeremic asked western countries Tuesday at the UN Security Council meeting to reconsider their recognition of Kosovo independence.
Twenty-seven countries, including 17 European Union members, have recognised Kosovo, and six more are in the process of recognition.
Kosovo officials are expecting more countries to recognise it. “The Kosovo government believes that by the end of 2008, the newest country in the world will be recognised by 100 countries,” said Kuqi.
He said International Monetary Fund and World Bank membership are a top priority for Kosovo.
Kosovo, which unilaterally declared independence from Serbia in February, cannot become a UN member state in the near future because of the strong opposition from Serbia and its ally Russia.
- Kosovo secession legal, rules International Court of Justice - Jul 23, 2010
- Russia calls on EU, NATO over military actions in Kosovo north - Aug 10, 2011
- Bill Clinton honoured by grateful Kosovo - Nov 02, 2009
- Serbian state TV website hacked - Jul 03, 2010
- Russia warns against training Syrian rebels in Kosovo - May 15, 2012
- Serbia requests international legal opinion on Kosovo independence - Aug 16, 2008
- India not to recognize Kosovo - Aug 09, 2010
- Kosovo President Sejdiu resigns after violating constitution - Sep 28, 2010
- Montenegro grants Kosovo diplomatic recognition - Oct 10, 2008
- Serbia finds 250 Albanians in mass grave - May 10, 2010
- Exhumation of alleged mass grave begins in Kosovo - Sep 02, 2010
- Portugal announces recognition of Kosovo - Oct 08, 2008
- 'New Kosovo government undermining UN authority' - Jul 26, 2008
- UN to withdraw peacekeeping force from Sudan - Jul 12, 2011
- Ban's Kosovo plan angers both Belgrade and Pristina - Jun 14, 2008