Kolkata sex workers observe Labour DayMay 1st, 2008 - 2:57 pm ICT by admin
Kolkata, May 1 (IANS) Over 3,500 sex workers took out a candle-light rally shortly after midnight to press for their rights and social recognition as labourers on the occasion of Labour Day Thursday. “We took out the rally from Sonagachi area (Kolkata’s largest red-light district), and finally converged at College Square at around 2 a.m. Thursday.
“We held this rally in demand of our social rights as sex workers,” Bharati Dey of Durbar Mahila Samanwaya Committee (DMSC), an NGO working for sex workers’ rights told IANS.
She said sex workers were often treated as a blot on civil society and despite working so hard they hardly get any respect by people.
DMSC is a forum exclusively of sex workers and their children. In July 1995, a group of sex workers from Sonagachi had set up the committee to create solidarity among sex workers.
“We have been fighting for the cause since past 16 years across the country but nothing has been changed, as far as the lives of sex workers are concerned. They are still to come out of the dark lanes of the red light pockets,” Dey said.
- UN officials visit Kolkata's red light area - Jan 27, 2011
- Indian sex workers to video connect with world AIDS meet in US - Jul 05, 2012
- Sex workers strive to fight exclusion, discrimination - Jul 27, 2012
- Kolkata sex workers rally for equality, social status - Mar 08, 2010
- Sex workers fight for rights at Kolkata conclave - Jul 25, 2012
- Promises of change: Sonagachi voters hoping against hope - Apr 24, 2011
- Sex workers observe International Sex Workers' Rights Day - Mar 04, 2010
- Kolkata sex workers take out torch rally on May Day - May 01, 2009
- Sex workers in Kolkata seek social status - Mar 30, 2009
- Sex workers open school for their children, slum dwellers - Apr 26, 2010
- Sex workers major gainers this festive season - Jan 01, 2010
- Supreme Court appoints panel for sex workers (Lead) - Jul 19, 2011
- Global conference of sex workers starts in Kolkata - Jul 22, 2012
- Sex workers' children becoming school dropouts - Dec 22, 2009
- Apex court orders funds for panel on sex workers (Lead) - Aug 02, 2011