Kolkata rape: ‘Misbehaving’ policemen removed from dutyFebruary 21st, 2012 - 10:52 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 21 (IANS) Two Kolkata police officers who had misbehaved with an Anglo-Indian woman when she went to a police station to report her alleged rape were Tuesday removed from active duty following an inquiry.
“Sub-Inspectors Manish Singh and Saikat Niyogi have been removed from active duty. Departmental proceedings will also be initiated against them,” said Joint Commissioner (Headquarters) Jawed Shamim.
The Anglo-Indian woman, a mother of two, had complained that she was raped at gunpoint Feb 6 inside a moving car after partying late at a night club on fashionable Park Street.
The women and her family members later alleged that when they went to the Park Street police station to report the matter, they were subjected to lewd comments and misbehaviour by the two officers.
Later a probe headed by Joint Commissioner Supratim Sarkar was ordered into the matter. Sarkar submitted his report Tuesday following which the duo were removed from active duty.
Three people have been arrested and sent to police custody so far while two others including the prime accused are absconding.
- Woman accuses Bengal cop of misbehaving with her - May 17, 2012
- Two Bengal cops removed for misbehaving with woman complainant - Apr 26, 2012
- Police officer who solved Park Street rape case removed - Apr 04, 2012
- 'Raped' Kolkata woman alleges police inaction - Feb 15, 2012
- Kolkata's Park Street rape case: Police find discrepancies - Feb 16, 2012
- Dignified officers will leave if Mamata does not change: CPI-M - Feb 20, 2012
- Kolkata police find holes in rape case; Mamata says cooked up (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Alleged Kolkata rapist sent to police custody - Jun 09, 2012
- Narayanan asks media not to sensationalise rape cases - Mar 01, 2012
- Woman raped inside moving taxi in Kolkata, attacker held - Jun 08, 2012
- Kolkata rape case: Officer denies division among police - Feb 20, 2012
- Trooper arrested for misbehaving with Kashmir girl - Jul 25, 2011
- Another rape in Bengal, victim deaf and mute - Feb 29, 2012
- Two held for raping Kolkata woman in moving car (Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- Kolkata rape: Governor defends Mamata - Feb 23, 2012