Kolkata leather factory gutted, no casualtyMarch 19th, 2008 - 8:38 pm ICT by admin
Kolkata, March 19 (IANS) A devastating fire broke out at an unauthorized leather processing workshop on the eastern fringes of Kolkata Wednesday morning. “The fire has been brought under control after two hours of fire fighting. The factory was totally unauthorized and no fire extinguishing arrangement was available there,” West Bengal Fire Services Director Gopal Bhattacharya told IANS.
“Altogether 20 fire tenders were pressed into service. No casualty was reported in the incident,” he said.
He said the fire service department will lodge a police complaint against the owner of the leather factory and would also order an investigation into the incident.
The fire broke out at Colour India, the leather factory located on Radhanath Chowdhury Road at Tangra.
“The fire spread quickly since a huge quantity of inflammable substances were stored in the factory,” Bhattacharya said. There was also water shortage and the fire brigade had to depend on its own resources.
Tangra, a thickly congested pocket in east Kolkata, is traditionally known for housing a large number of tanneries. Over the past few decades, it has served as the location for Kolkata’s China Town.
A number of Chinese people, who have specialised in leather work and run made-to-order shoe shops, live there.
“Around 10.30 a.m. we suddenly saw thick smoke spiralling out from the leather factory. We immediately informed the fire brigade. The fire could not spread out in the locality as the entire leather complex was fenced off by a tall guard wall,” a local resident said.
He said this is the third incident in last 10 years when the leather complex caught fire due to inflammable substances.
- Delhi rubber factory gutted, no casualties - Mar 26, 2011
- Two fires break out in Kolkata, no casualties - Jun 16, 2012
- Massive fire in Dubai perfume factory - Aug 23, 2012
- 45 killed in factory fires in Pakistan (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- One killed, four injured in Vadodara chemical factory fire in Vadodara - Nov 22, 2010
- Fire in Kolkata factory - Dec 20, 2011
- Fire in Punjab chemical factory - May 22, 2011
- Major fire engulfs slum area in Kolkata - Mar 05, 2010
- One killed, three injured in Jamshedpur fire - Mar 04, 2012
- Fire engulfs saddle-making factory in Kanpur - May 03, 2011
- Two tanneries gutted in Kolkata - Oct 24, 2008
- Candle factory goes up in flames - Jan 17, 2011
- Fire breaks out in plastic factory in New Delhi - Oct 13, 2010
- Major fire at Delhi factory - May 12, 2011
- Massive fire in Kanpur leather factory - Mar 09, 2011