Kolkata fire: Three AMRI directors seek anticipatory bail (Lead)February 16th, 2012 - 7:20 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 16 (IANS) Three AMRI hospital directors, who have been evading arrest in connection with the Dec 9, 2011 fire tragedy here that killed 94 people, approached a court Thursday seeking anticipatory bail.
“Aditya Agarwal, Priti Sureka and Rahul Todi, against whom arrest warrants had been issued, have approached the Alipore district judge seeking anticipatory bail. The court will hear the petition at a later date,” their counsel Salim Rahman said.
Arrest warrants against the trio were issued Dec 17 charging them under several penal provisions, including culpable homicide not amounting to murder.
The court Jan 6 declared the three directors as proclaimed offenders and notices were served by police at their residences the next day.
The three accused Jan 18 got a stay on the order of proclamation. Additional District Judge Asit Dey stayed the order of proclamation till Feb 20.
They contended that order passed was bad in law as the time given to the accused for surrendering was less than 30 days which was the minimum required time available under the law.
Nine directors of the high cost super specialty hospital in Kolkata have so far been arrested in this connection. Shrachi Group chairman S.K. Todi, his counterpart in Emami Group R.S. Goenka and four other employees were among those behind bars.
Veteran doctor and managing director of the hospital Mani Chhetri, arrested Jan 27, was released on conditional bail till Feb 15.
Another director R.S. Agarwal has been undergoing treatment at the state-run SSKM Hospital following his arrest.
- Kolkata fire: Three AMRI directors seek anticipatory bail - Feb 16, 2012
- AMRI directors denied bail - Dec 23, 2011
- AMRI director gets bail, Bengal to move apex court (Second Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- One AMRI director gets bail, others denied (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- AMRI case: Directors' police custody extended by 3 days (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Kolkata blaze: Hospital director's bail plea rejected (Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
- Kolkata hospital fire: Director gets bail - Apr 12, 2012
- Kolkata blaze: Hospital director's bail plea rejected (Second Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- AMRI directors denied bail, sent to judicial custody (Lead) - Dec 24, 2011
- Police custody of six AMRI Hospital directors extended - Dec 20, 2011
- Speed up bail process for veteran AMRI doctor: Gorkha party - Jan 30, 2012
- Judge speaks to AMRI Hospital fire accused in ambulance - Dec 19, 2011
- Mamata vents ire on corporates, media - Feb 28, 2012
- Hospitalised AMRI director denied bail - Dec 29, 2011
- AMRI fire: Three more get bail - Apr 03, 2012
Tags: amri, arrest warrants, asit, counterpart, culpable homicide, dey, district judge, emami group, evading arrest, fire tragedy, goenka, group chairman, hospital directors, penal provisions, proclaimed offenders, r s agarwal, salim, specialty hospital, todi, undergoing treatment