Kolkata enveloped in security blanket for R-DayJanuary 25th, 2009 - 7:12 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Jan 25 (IANS) Intense searches were conducted at the airport and major railway stations and security has been tightened in shopping malls as the city gears up to celebrate the nation’s 60th Republic Day Monday.All passengers were frisked at the Howrah railway station, with the Railway Protection Force deploying sniffer dogs to look for explosives, said a police officer Sunday.
Entry of visitors has been banned at the Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport, with Central Industrial Security Force personnel intensifying the vigil.
Additional number of policemen has been posted at the metro railway stations in the city, besides stepped up security at shopping malls, market places and other crowded spots.
More than 6,000 policemen would be on duty at the Republic Day parade on Indira Gandhi Sarani in the heart of the city, said city police commissioner Gautam Chakraborty.
“For the first time, we will install closed circuit television at the venue. There will also be plain clothes policemen and dog squad. Security will indeed be tight,” Chakraborty said after overseeing the arrangements.
- Republic Day: Security beefed up, traffic diversions announced - Jan 21, 2011
- Security beefed up in West Bengal after Delhi firing - Sep 19, 2010
- Security beefed up across West Bengal ahead of Republic Day - Jan 25, 2010
- Delhi on high alert after blast - Sep 07, 2011
- Mamata unfurls tri-colour, sends sweets to prisoners - Aug 15, 2011
- Heavily fortified Delhi gears up for Republic Day - Jan 25, 2011
- Security up as India readies for 63rd R'Day (Roundup) - Jan 25, 2012
- President Mukherjee begins four-day trip to Bengal - Sep 14, 2012
- West Bengal paralysed due to shutdown - Sep 20, 2012
- Security beef-up in Delhi begins Monday ahead of R-Day - Jan 16, 2011
- Delhi put on high alert ahead of Republic Day - Jan 21, 2012
- West Bengal comes to a halt due to shutdown, strike (Lead) - Sep 21, 2012
- Delhi on high alert ahead of I-Day - Aug 14, 2012
- NSG gets land outside Kolkata for eastern hub - Sep 17, 2011
- Shutdown hits life in West Bengal (Roundup) - Jul 05, 2010