Kolkata celebrates as Pranab becomes presidentJuly 25th, 2012 - 4:26 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 25 (IANS) The city erupted with joy Wednesday as Pranab Mukherjee was sworn in as the country’s new president, the first Bengali to occupy the high office. People smeared green gulal on each other and danced to celebrate the historic moment.
Congratulatory arches were erected over several roads, especially near the state Congress office Bidhan Bhavan.
Large-life size portraits of Mukherjee with Congress flags attached adorned several intersections in the city.
Emotional scenes were witnessed on the roads as people burst firecrackers.
Congress workers had started assembling at Bidhan Bhavan since morning and as soon as the oath-taking ceremony was over, they hugged each other and raised slogans of “Pranab Mukherjee Zindabad!”
They also took out colourful processions in the city and several districts celebrating the occassion of ‘Pranabda’ becoming the first person from Bengal to become India’s president.
The party workers also distributed sweets in several part of the city.
- Prayers, festivity in Pranab's village - Jul 22, 2012
- Pranab heads for Rashtrapati Bhavan, Sangma bruised (Roundup) - Jul 22, 2012
- Bengal celebrates Pranab's candidature (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Jangipur celebrates but some sadness at losing MP Pranabda - Jul 22, 2012
- Left in dilemma over support to Pranab - Jun 15, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi on a day's visit to Kolkata - Sep 06, 2010
- Pranab arrives in Kolkata, to meet supporters Monday - Jul 08, 2012
- Pranab is India's next president, Sangma bruised (Intro Roundup) - Jul 22, 2012
- Mulayam leads Holi celebrations in UP - Mar 08, 2012
- Congress withdraws, Trinamool candidates elected unopposed to RS (Lead) - Mar 22, 2012
- Colours of gulal, and taste of gujiya - Holi Hai! - Mar 20, 2011
- Rahul's visit chokes Kolkata traffic - Sep 06, 2010
- Big Bengal presence at Pranab's swearing-in - Jul 23, 2012
- West Bengal gets its first woman chief minister (Lead) - May 20, 2011
- Delhi revels peacefully in Holi colours (Lead) - Mar 20, 2011
Tags: arches, bengal, bengali, burst, congress office, congress workers, emotional scenes, firecrackers, first person, gulal, India, intersections, new president, occassion, portraits, pranab mukherjee, slogans, state congress, sweets