Kolkata blaze guts 600 shantiesMarch 10th, 2008 - 11:01 am ICT by admin
Kolkata, March 10 (IANS) A devastating fire has gutted about 600 shanties in east Kolkata, causing huge damage to a large number of people who were rendered homeless and lost all their belongings. No casualty was reported as about 15 fire engines controlled the blaze Sunday night after fighting the flames for nearly five hours.
Fire brigade sources said the blaze started in a slum at Panchanna Gram and razed about 600 hutments in a few hours.
The probable cause was a gas cylinder explosion.
The fire, which broke out at about 6.30 p.m., spread quickly among the bamboo huts with thatched roofs.
“We have lost everything. A huge quantity of garments that we sew and supply to boutiques and stores were destroyed. We are devastated,” said a resident, wailing uncontrollably.
Senior politicians and some state ministers supervised the fire control operation.
- Fire claims lives of pregnant woman, daughter - May 04, 2012
- Seven die in fire near Hyderabad - Feb 18, 2012
- Two fires break out in Kolkata, no casualties - Jun 16, 2012
- Four of a family charred in Delhi gas cylinder blast - Apr 08, 2012
- Fire in Kolkata factory, no casualties (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Factory gutted in Kolkata - Apr 01, 2012
- Mamata sniffs sabotage, orders probe into Kolkata fire - Mar 22, 2012
- Officials clueless about Kolkata slum blaze cause - Mar 10, 2008
- One killed, 500 shanties destroyed in Kolkata fire (Second Lead) - Jan 12, 2010
- 16 dead in Tripura refugee camp fire - Mar 20, 2011
- Fire at slum cluster in Delhi - Jun 22, 2012
- Massive fire engulfs Pune slum - May 03, 2010
- Fire in Kolkata studio, two injured - Jul 18, 2011
- Two killed in factory fire in Andhra Pradesh - Aug 15, 2012
- 200 shanties gutted in Kolkata fire - Jan 21, 2010