Kolkata beefs up security for Durga PujaOctober 12th, 2010 - 10:08 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Oct 12 (IANS) Elaborate security arrangements have been made for the five-day Durga Puja festivities beginning Wednesday, police said here Tuesday.
“Police personnel have been deployed in large numbers to prevent any kind of untoward incident,” City Police Commissioner Goutam Mohan Chakraborty said.
Kolkata Police’s Joint Commissioner (headquarters) Jawed Shamim said quick response teams will also be deployed across the city.
To manage the heavy traffic at peak hours, cadets of police training school will assist the regular force, he said.
“To prevent petty crimes like pick pocketing and eve-teasing, police would be present in plain clothes at crowded areas,” added Shamim.
He also said that big puja organisers have been asked to install CCTVs and follow other safety rules.
Inspector General of Police (South Bengal) Sanjoy Mukherjee said: “At least 4,000 policemen will be deployed in South 24 Parganas to manage the crowd during. CCTVs will be installed at important roads like Diamond Harbour Road, NSC Bose road, Tollygunge, Behala Chowrastha and MG Road.”
- Security stepped-up in Kolkata for Durga puja - Sep 23, 2009
- Bengal bids farewell to Durga - Oct 06, 2011
- Tearful farewell to Durga, 600 idols immersed in Yamuna - Oct 06, 2011
- Security beefed up in West Bengal after Delhi firing - Sep 19, 2010
- Tripura, Assam on alert during Durga Puja - Oct 02, 2011
- Short skirts cause women harassment: Trinamool lawmaker - Jul 28, 2012
- Kolkata commuters suffer as vehicle ban is implemented (Lead) - Aug 01, 2009
- Durga Puja celebrations begin in West Bengal - Oct 13, 2010
- Trinamool MLA clarifies 'short skirt' remark, Mamata refuses comment (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Man tries to immolate self with wife, daughter - Sep 13, 2011
- Tight security in Bangalore for Independence Day - Aug 14, 2011
- Digital radio to keep tab on errant Kolkata cops - Dec 06, 2010
- Bringing in the new year with style - Jan 01, 2012
- Mamata unfurls tri-colour, sends sweets to prisoners - Aug 15, 2011
- Bengal bids adieu to Goddess Durga (Lead) - Sep 28, 2009
Tags: beefs, chakraborty, city police, diamond harbour, durga puja, heavy traffic, mg road, mohan, peak hours, petty crimes, plain clothes, police commissioner, police training school, response teams, safety rules, sanjoy, security arrangements, shamim, south bengal, untoward incident