Koda asked to prove majority by Aug 25August 18th, 2008 - 11:42 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Aug 18 (IANS) Jharkhand Governor Syed Sibte Razi Monday night asked Chief Minister Madhu Koda to prove his majority in the assembly on or before Aug 25.Earlier, Koda met the governor and said he would prove his majority on the floor of the house.
“I will prove majority on the floor of the house. The assembly session has already been convened,” Koda had told reporters.
The monsoon session of the assembly has been convened between Sep 19 and 25.
Koda went alone to meet the governor after holding a marathon cabinet meeting.
The Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) withdrew support to the 23-month-old Koda government Sunday evening, reducing it to a minority. In the 82-member house, Koda now enjoys the support of only 25 legislators.
Koda, an Independent or unattached legislator, became chief minister with the support of the Congress and the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD), both part of the UPA, and smaller parties as well as eight other Independents.
JMM leader Shibu Soren, who became the chief minister for nine days after the assembly elections in 2005, last Tuesday staked his claim to become chief minister but Koda refused to step down.
Soren secured the backing of the Congress after supporting the Manmohan Singh government in the crucial parliament trust vote of July 22.
- Jharkhand assembly session begins - Jan 04, 2010
- 'Soren government a combination of Ram and Ravana' (Lead) - Jan 07, 2010
- Soren government wins trust vote (Lead) - Jan 07, 2010
- Soren government moves trust vote - Jan 07, 2010
- Four options for alternative government in Jharkhand - May 25, 2010
- Arjun Munda Govt. wins trust vote in Jharkhand Assembly - Sep 14, 2010
- Munda perfect to rule but can't say for how long: Soren - Sep 18, 2010
- Suspended BJP lawmaker wants Soren as chief minister - Aug 19, 2008
- Soren sails through trust vote amid RJD boycott (Second Lead) - Jan 07, 2010
- Soren to seek trust vote on May 31 - May 27, 2010
- Jharkhand governor summons Koda as he refuses to resign - Aug 18, 2008
- Advani upset over coalition with JMM in Jharkhand - Sep 10, 2010
- Another BJP-JMM government, another twist in Jharkhand's political tale - Sep 09, 2010
- Arjun Munda becomes Jharkhand chief minister third time (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2010
- Jharkhand cabinet expansion after JMM conclave - Sep 20, 2010