Kobad Ghandy to face trial under terror charges (Lead)July 16th, 2012 - 10:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 16 (IANS) A Delhi court Monday paved the way for the trial of Maoist leader Kobad Ghandy under terror charges from Sep 4.
According to police, Ghandy was involved in setting up a new network of the banned Communist Party of India-Maoist in Delhi. He was arrested here Sep 20, 2009 while undergoing treatment for cancer.
Additional Sessions Judge Pawan Kumar Jain framed terror charges against Ghandy, Public Prosecutor Rajeev Mohan told IANS.
The court framed charges against Ghandy under Sections 20 and 38 (being a member of banned outfit and furthering its activities) of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA), he said.
Ghandy’s counsel Rebecca John told IANs that the trial against him will commence Sep 4.
The sessions court did not frame charges against Ghandy under the stringent UAPA March 28 due to lack of proper sanction.
It only paved the way for the trial of Ghandy and co-accused Arvind Joshi for cheating, forgery and impersonation under the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and directed the magistrate court to hear the case.
Police later moved an application, after getting fresh sanction, seeking prosecution of Ghandy under terror charges.
The magistrate court accepted the terror charges against Ghandy April 30 and sent the case to the sessions court.
Ghandy was living in Delhi to propagate the activities of the CPI-Maoist and he was helped by co-accused Rajinder Kumar, the court said.
“From the perusal of material on record, it is prime facie apparent that accused Kobad Ghandy wanted to have a safe hiding place in Delhi in an assumed name with a view to propagate and disseminate the activities of the CPI-Maoist,” the court said.
- Court accepts terror charges against Kobad Ghandy (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Court to decide on terror charges against Ghandy April 30 - Apr 24, 2012
- Terror charge plea against Ghandy to come up April 9 - Mar 31, 2012
- Maoist Kobad Ghandy to stand trial for cheating (Second Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Maoist Kobad Ghandy to stand trial for cheating (Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Fresh plea to prosecute Ghandy under terror charges - Mar 30, 2012
- Dropping terror charges against Ghandy hailed - Mar 28, 2012
- Fresh chargesheet filed against Maoist Kobad Ghandy - Mar 23, 2012
- Court allows Ghandy to compare two charge sheets - May 15, 2012
- Court sends Kobad Ghandy aide to police custody - Mar 19, 2010
- Ghandy met Prachanda, knew of Induwar's killing, say police (Lead) - Feb 19, 2010
- Investigation on Kobad Ghandy complete, police tell court - Dec 14, 2009
- Ghandy met Prachanda, knew of Induwar's killing: Police (Second Lead) - Feb 19, 2010
- Kobad Ghandy wants to retract confession - Dec 11, 2009
- Kobad Ghandy appeals against narco test - Nov 04, 2009
Tags: arvind, communist party of india, delhi court, frame charges, ghandy, hiding place, impersonation, indian penal code, joshi, magistrate court, maoist, mohan, perusal, prevention act, public prosecutor, rebecca john, sessions court, terror charges, uapa, undergoing treatment