‘Know your genes to live hale and hearty’January 11th, 2012 - 11:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 11 (IANS) Knowing genes structure in the body can help in preventing several chronic and lifestyle diseases, claims a Kochi-based organisation which is launching the “first of its kind” genetic testing service in India.
To be launched in collaboration with an Australian company, Gene Care is a personalised health care and medical service that offers genetic testing for patients, thus providing an interface between chronic diseases, genes and lifestyle.
Launched by Wellness Solutions and Nutrition Care, the gene testing services are made available through hospitals and other primary care facilities around India.
“Saliva sample will be taken from people enrolling for the service and within four week time, a detailed gene analysis providing details of diseases they are prone to will be given,” said A. Sreekumar, chairman and managing director, Wellness Solutions.
The test administered through medical practitioners allows healthcare and medical practitioners to utilise breakthroughs in genetic research and the latest technology by making informed steps towards improving patient outcomes with the use of specific lifestyle changes including appropriate exercise, diets and nutritional supplements, he said.
“It also enables the physicians and doctors to better understand and advise on the management of their patient’s health,” said Sreekumar.
The gene test will cost around Rs.50,000 and will be launched in metro cities later this month.
- Analyzing family health history 'best way for disease risk assessment' - Nov 06, 2010
- Cuban lab makes medicine from banana peel - Apr 28, 2012
- Chronic pain takes a toll on primary care providers as well as patients - Dec 17, 2010
- DIY DNA tests tell couples about their unborn baby's genetic disease risk - Mar 27, 2011
- Gene discovery could shed light on foetal, childhood growth retardation - Mar 06, 2011
- Cardiac rehab 'can improve heart patients' quality of life' - Feb 15, 2011
- Indian Navy launches healthcare management system - Aug 30, 2012
- 'Early diagnosis can save patients with genetic disorders' - May 15, 2012
- Information technology could help prevent, treat depression - Dec 04, 2010
- 18 affordable health kiosks set up in Bangalore - Aug 05, 2012
- Chewing Gum Reduces Heartburn, Study Says - Jan 14, 2011
- Plant oil may be a key in the fight against obesity - Mar 24, 2011
- Study sheds new light on the causes of chronic liver cirrhosis - Mar 14, 2011
- Telemedicine may now improve geriatric depression - Oct 04, 2010
- Scientists simulate common cold virus in 3D for better drugs - Jul 17, 2012
Tags: chronic diseases, gene analysis, gene test, gene testing, genes, genetic research, genetic testing, latest technology, lifestyle changes, lifestyle diseases, medical practitioners, medical service, metro cities, nutrition care, nutritional supplements, patient outcomes, personalised health, rs 50, saliva, wellness solutions