Klose’s brace gives Bayern victory over DortmundFebruary 9th, 2009 - 1:58 pm ICT by IANS
Munich, Feb 9 (DPA) Bayern Munich came from behind to beat Borussia Dortmund 3-1 and moved to second spot in the German Bundesliga, behind leaders Hoffenheim.
Dortmund stunned Bayern Sunday with an early goal from Nelson Valdez but the German champions hit back before the break through Ze Roberto, and Miroslav Klose bagged two goals in the last three minutes.
Hoffenheim, who grabbed a late 1-1 draw at bottom-of-the-table Borussia Moenchengladbach Saturday, have 39 points, with Bayern on 38, Hertha Berlin on 37 and SV Hamburg on 36.
In the day’s other game, Energie Cottbus defeated Hanover 3-1 thanks to a double from Dimitar Rangelov and a third from Stanislav Angelov to move out of the relegation zone.
Bayern, under pressure after being beaten 1-0 at Hamburg last week in the resumption of the Bundesliga after its winter break, were buoyed by Saturday’s results in which none of their rivals in the top five could win.
But Juergen Klinsmann’s side found themselves behind in the second minute against visiting Dortmund when central defender Martin Demichelis slipped to allow Nelson Valdez a free run on goal.
The Paraguayan striker finished with aplomb by curling the ball with his left foot around advancing keeper Michael Rensing.
“We had to do more after conceding the early goal and we created enough chances. The team put a lot into the game and the win was more than deserved,” Bayern coach Klinsmann said.
It was one-way traffic for the first 45 minutes as Bayern piled on the pressure and keeper Roman Weidenfeller twice did well to save from Klose.
However the keeper was at fault in the 24th minute when he weakly parried a soft shot from Franck Ribery into the path of Ze Roberto who made no mistake from close range.
Weidenfeller made amends with further saves from Ze Roberto and Ribery as Dortmund held on until the interval.
Juergen Klopp’s side looked more comfortable after the break, and Rensing was tested by substitute Nuri Sahin before Florian Klinge missed a glorious opportunity when he headed wide in the 62nd minute.
Still the visitors had to depend upon Weidenfeller who dived low to parry a Ribery shot and saved brilliantly from close range from Klose following another darting run and neat reverse pass from the France midfielder.
Klinsmann had replaced Bastian Schweinsteiger with Hamit Altintop and brought on US striker Landon Donovan for an unhappy Luca Toni in a double substitution with 18 minutes remaining.
The decision to keep Klose on rather than Toni paid off when Dortmund defender Felipe Santana headed a long ball from Mark van Bommel into the Germany striker’s path and this time he made sure by putting the ball through Weidenfeller’s legs.
With Dortmund’s resistance broken, Klose struck again with 90 minutes gone when Ribery again danced down the left and put the ball across the goalmouth for the striker to do the rest.
“A game lasts 90 minutes and you just have to forget things,” Klose said of the missed chances before scoring.
“I always believe I will take my chance and know that the next opportunity will come along. I scored two goals but the important thing today was to win. You could see we were under a bit of pressure after the defeat last week in Hamburg.”
- Dortmund drop points as Bayern edge closer - Mar 11, 2012
- Dortmund humble Bayern to win German Cup - May 13, 2012
- Bayern Munich claims win against newcomer - Aug 26, 2012
- Dortmund close in on title after beating Bayern - Apr 12, 2012
- Dortmund reaches semifinals at German Cup - Feb 08, 2012
- Schalke defeat Berlin for second place of German Bundesliga - Dec 10, 2011
- Dortmund share point with Nuremberg - Sep 02, 2012
- Bayern on top with unconvincing victory over Wolfsburg - Jan 29, 2012
- German Bundesliga kicks off August 27 - Jun 27, 2012
- Borussia Dortmund edge out Bayern Munich in Bundesliga - Nov 20, 2011
- Cologne relegated, Dortmund break Bundesliga record - May 06, 2012
- Dortmund and Bayern win in Bundesliga - Apr 08, 2012
- Bayern stage faultless performance to stay on top - Sep 25, 2011
- German record champion Bayern sets Dortmund under pressure - Mar 25, 2012
- Dortmund keep top position in Bundesliga after win against Hannover - Feb 27, 2012