Kite string causes blackout in ShanghaiMarch 31st, 2012 - 5:10 pm ICT by IANS
Shanghai, March 31 (IANS) Many people got stuck inside dark elevators in China’s commercial capital when the string of a kite got entangled around high-tension wires and caused a blackout.
The blackout occurred Friday in Pudong New Area, the main business district of Shanghai, the Shanghai Daily reported.
The Shanghai Electric Power Co, the city’s power supplier, said three 220-kilovolt electrical wires in Pudong suffered a short-circuit.
The accident also caused a voltage fluctuation in the city.
For those trapped inside elevators, the experience was an unhappy one.
An office worker surnamed Fei said she got stuck on the 30th floor. “Of course we were nervous,” she said, adding that a woman near her almost collapsed.
- Kite-chasing boy electrocuted - Jan 15, 2012
- Child injured in high-tension cable explosion near Pune - Aug 17, 2012
- High voltage current kills 25 bus passengers (Lead) - May 14, 2010
- 28 electrocuted as high voltage wire falls on bus (Second Lead) - May 14, 2010
- 28 of marriage party electrocuted in Madhya Pradesh (Third Lead) - May 15, 2010
- 25 die of electrocution in Madhya Pradesh bus accident - May 14, 2010
- Three people electrocuted in Delhi after rains - Aug 16, 2010
- Man held for bomb hoax in China - May 01, 2012
- Toronto bans kite flying - Aug 19, 2010
- Chandigarh hit by major power outage for hours - Jun 21, 2012
- Fire in Punjab multiplex - May 14, 2011
- Use glass-free manja this Makar Sankranti, urges PETA - Jan 07, 2011
- Police hunt for Chinese teens who killed cats - Feb 05, 2012
- Three firms guilty of lead poisoning in Chinese kids - Feb 26, 2012
- Goa lifts curbs on new commercial power connections - Mar 29, 2011