Kishenji’s home town observes shut-downNovember 26th, 2011 - 6:49 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Nov 26 (IANS) Peddapalli town in Andhra Pradesh’s Karimnagar district Saturday observed a shut-down to protest the killing of top Maoist leader Kishenji, who hailed from the place, by the police in West Bengal.
People in the town, about 200 km from Hyderabad, voluntarily observed the shut-down to mourn the son of the soil, who was shot dead during a gun battle in the forests of West Bengal Thursday.
Shops and business establishments downed shutters while private educational institutions remained closed.
Mallojula Koteswara Rao alias Kishenji, the number three in the outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist, was born in Peddapalli and had left his house 35 years ago to join the Maoist movement.
A Maoist ideologue and a master strategist, Kishenji never visited the town or his family after he went underground while studying law.
Local people and leaders of various organisations Saturday visited the house of Kishenji’s brother Anjaneyulu to offer condolences.
A group of journalists from West Bengal also arrived in Peddapalli to interview Kishenji’s mother, brother and other relatives. The local police gathered details of all the journalists.
Some family members of Kishenji have gone to West Bengal to receive the body of the Maoist leader.
The body is likely to be flown to Hyderabad Saturday night. The family plans to keep the body at Tank Bund to enable Maoist sympathisers to pay their last respects. It will then be taken to Peddapalli by road where last rites are likely to be performed Sunday.
- Andhra police forcibly shift Kishenji's body to home town - Nov 26, 2011
- Congress MP, hundreds attend Kishenji cremation - Nov 27, 2011
- Kishenji's family wants his body for last rites - Nov 25, 2011
- Kishanji's ailing mother breaks down (Lead) - Nov 25, 2011
- CPI-Maoist calls shutdown to protest Kishenji killing - Nov 27, 2011
- Suspected Maoists kill two tribal youth in Andhra - Nov 27, 2011
- Mamata has killed Kishenji: Varavara Rao - Nov 26, 2011
- Post Kishenji, security forces hunt for Maoists (Roundup) - Nov 25, 2011
- Kishenji's niece identifies his body - Nov 26, 2011
- CID begins probe into Kishenji's death - Nov 26, 2011
- Kishanji's niece flying to Kolkata to identify body - Nov 25, 2011
- Elimination of Kishenji not planned, just happened: Mamata - Mar 09, 2012
- Andhra ready to help Bengal in tackling Maoists - Oct 20, 2011
- Kishenji's body to be sent to Andhra for last rites - Nov 26, 2011
- Maoists call two-day Bengal shutdown - Nov 25, 2011
Tags: 35 years, alias, andhra pradesh, business establishments, communist party of india, condolences, gun battle, ideologue, karimnagar district, last respects, last rites, maoist, maoist movement, master strategist, private educational institutions, shutters, son of the soil, studying law, tank bund, west bengal