Kim Jong-un declared North Korea’s supreme military commanderDecember 31st, 2011 - 1:45 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Dec 31 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Kim Jong-un, the son of late North Korean leader Kim Jong-il, has been officially declared the supreme commander of the armed forces, South Korea’s Yonhap news agency reported Saturday.
The political bureau of the central committee of the Workers’ Party “courteously proclaimed that the dear respected Kim Jong-un, vice-chairman of the central military commission of the WPK, assumed the supreme commandership of the Korean People’s Army”, Pyongyang’s official news agency KCNA said.
North Korea has just ended a period of mourning for Kim Jong-il, who had ruled the country since 1994. He died Dec 17 following a heart attack.
His youngest son, Kim Jong-un, has since been named “supreme leader of the party, state and army”.
Little is known about Kim Jong-un, except that he is in his late twenties and has had some schooling in Switzerland.
North Korea has said the international community should not expect any change in its policies after Kim Jong-il’s death.
- North Korea's Kim Jong-un promoted to top military rank - Jul 18, 2012
- Kim Jong-un gets married: North Korean TV - Jul 25, 2012
- Kim Jong Un appointed North Korea's top military commander - Jan 01, 2012
- Seoul hopes tensions between Koreas will ease - Jan 02, 2012
- Kim Jong-il to be embalmed - Jan 12, 2012
- Dead North Korean leader's son 'great successor': Media - Dec 19, 2011
- Don't expect us to change, North Korea tells world - Dec 30, 2011
- South Koreans send anti-regime leaflets to North in balloons - Dec 22, 2011
- North Korea threatens to bury enemies at sea - Apr 05, 2012
- North Korean leader's son made general - Sep 28, 2010
- Documentary hails North Korea's new leader - Jan 09, 2012
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-il dead, youngest son takes over (Third Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- Kim Jong-un signs order of battle - Aug 27, 2012
- North Korea mourns Kim Jong-il - Dec 29, 2011
- Kim Jong-un elected chairman of National Defence Commission - Apr 13, 2012
Tags: central committee, central military commission, heart attack, kcna, kim jong il, korean leader, korean people, north korea, north korean leader kim jong il, official news, pyongyang, ria novosti, south korea, supreme commander, supreme leader, supreme military commander, workers party, wpk, yonhap news agency, youngest son