Killer bus set on fire in LudhianaMay 13th, 2008 - 1:44 am ICT by admin
Ludhiana, May 12 (IANS) A private bus was set on fire by an irate mob in this industrial city of Punjab Monday after it crushed to death a teenaged girl. People in the area alleged the bus was being run by the Orbit transport company, owned by the family of Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal. However, police denied it, saying the bus belonged to some other private company.
The victim, Nancy, 16, was riding pillion on a motorcycle with her brother and sister to visit relatives when the bus hit them.
While her siblings fell on the other side, she came under the wheels of the bus. The siblings received minor injuries.
A mob gathered at the accident site and pelted stones and bricks at the bus. They damaged the vehicle and set it on fire.
The police registered a case against the bus driver and also against the people who indulged in violence.
Buses run by the Badal family have been getting police pilot and escort jeeps on some routes after threats by opposition politicians that the buses would be targeted.
- Five killed in Punjab factory blast - Sep 12, 2012
- Telangana activists damage buses coming from Andhra - Oct 03, 2011
- Violence in Anantnag after youth run over by army vehicle (Lead) - Mar 10, 2012
- Irate mob goes on rampage after road accident in Lucknow - Nov 03, 2009
- Women Kabaddi team's bus catches fire, two die - Nov 17, 2011
- Man killed in east Delhi firing was family's sole provider - Sep 03, 2012
- Badal vs Badal vs Badal in Punjab's Lambi seat - Jan 07, 2012
- Orphans terrorized, thousands stranded in Punjab Sikh riots - May 26, 2009
- Villagers clash with police in Noida - Sep 10, 2012
- Cops escort buses in Haryana as unions go on strike - Feb 28, 2012
- Stopping by the polling booth on wedding day (Punjab poll diary) - Jan 30, 2012
- Boy's death sparks violence - Jun 09, 2011
- Shutdown hits India's tech hub partially (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Curfew continues in Gurdaspur, Badal orders probe - Mar 30, 2012
- Truck mows four kids, one killed in police firing - Sep 14, 2011