Killed pilgrims’ kin protest non-payment of compensationJune 28th, 2012 - 12:20 am ICT by IANS
Gurgaon, June 27 (IANS) Relatives of 24 Hindu pilgrims, who were killed in a road accident in 2010, created noisy scenes Wednesday over non-payment of Rs.2 lakh compensation announced by Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda.
Twenty-four ‘kanwarias’ (pilgrims) were killed July 31, 2010, when the truck ferrying them fell into a 150-metre deep gorge at Dabrani in Uttarakhand’s Uttarkashi district. All the 24 people who were killed belonged to Gurgoan, including 20 from Baghanki village. Those killed were in the age group of 17-25 years.
Residents from Baghanki along with the relatives of the killed pilgrims created ruckus in the official meeting of district vigilance and monitoring committee for not getting the Rs.2 lakh compensation announced by Hooda about two years ago.
The meeting was chaired by member of parliament (MP) from Gurgaon, Rao Inderjit Singh, an official said. Residents from the village blamed Hooda for not fulfilling his commitment.
Rao Inderjit Singh said: “Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda should fulfill his commitment of the compensation and building a stadium in the village.”
The chief minister’s media adviser Shiv Bhatia told IANS: “Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda would surely compensate the kin of victims.”
The ill-fated truck was on its way to Gangotri when the accident took place on the Rishikesh-Gangotri national highway, about 70 km from Dehradun in 2010.
- Compensation for Uttarakhand accident victims - Aug 02, 2010
- Pilgrim killed in Gurgaon - Jul 17, 2012
- 29 pilgrims killed in Haryana accident (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Bahuguna surveys damage in Uttarakhand, offers more relief - Aug 16, 2012
- Hooda detractors make themselves heard (Haryana Newsletter) - Jan 15, 2012
- Rain kills six in Uttarakhand, pilgrimage halted - Aug 04, 2012
- 11 kids killed in Haryana accident (Second Lead) - Jan 02, 2012
- After accident, Haryana district to regulate traffic - Apr 29, 2011
- Sikh massacre: SGPC asks PM for probe - Feb 24, 2011
- Gurgaon 'grooms' for daughters of Lalu Prasad, Sharad Yadav - Jan 11, 2012
- Gurgaon-Chandigarh Volvo buses a hit - Apr 02, 2012
- Haryana to host World Economic Forum-India summit - Jun 22, 2012
- Maruti not shifting from Haryana, Bhargava assures Hooda - Jul 23, 2012
- Court quashes Haryana plot given to Subhash Ghai - Sep 11, 2012
- Haryana minister Gopal Kanda resigns - Aug 05, 2012
Tags: bhatia, chief minister, deep gorge, dehradun, hindu pilgrims, hooda, inderjit singh, kanwarias, lakh, media adviser, member of parliament, monitoring committee, noisy scenes, rishikesh, road accident, rs 2, ruckus, s media, uttarakhand, uttarkashi