Kidney scam kingpin sent to judicial custody in AmbalaFebruary 22nd, 2008 - 11:44 pm ICT by admin
Ambala (Haryana), Feb 22 (IANS) A special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court in Haryana Friday sent the Gurgaon kidney racket kingpin, Amit Kumar, to 14-day judicial custody. He was immediately shifted to the Ambala Central Prison where he will be lodged for the next few days till his next hearing.
Kumar, the kingpin in the illegal kidney transplants of over 500 people, was brought to the court here from Delhi by the CBI team amid tight security.
CBI counsel did not press the court for further police remand of the accused after which the court sent him to judicial custody.
CBI sources said the interrogation of Amit Kumar, who was arrested from Nepal last month, has been completed and his police remand was not required.
They said the investigations would now focus on the leads of the racket provided by Kumar.
Kumar has been accused of running the biggest illegal kidney sale racket in the country. He evaded the Gurgaon and Uttar Pradesh police for several days before the Nepal police caught him from a resort. He was then handed over to CBI officials by Nepalese authorities.
Kumar is believed to have sent millions of rupees through hawala channels to other countries, especially Canada where he also bought a palatial house to settle down.
- Court summons kidney scam kingpin from Jaipur - Jul 24, 2011
- Jagan sent to jail for 14 days in assets case (Roundup) - May 28, 2012
- Kidney racket kingpin's sealed house burgled 4th time - Mar 12, 2010
- Court sends Jagan to CBI custody for five days (Second Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- CBI to question Jagan for two more days - Jun 08, 2012
- Four held by CBI for medical admission fraud - Jul 20, 2012
- Kanda sent to 7 days police custody (Third Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- CBI to get two-day custody of Amit Shah (Lead) - Aug 06, 2010
- CBI continues questioning Janardhana Reddy - Sep 14, 2011
- Two accused sent to jail in medical admission racket - Jul 21, 2012
- CBI seeks court's nod for narco test on Jagan - Jun 11, 2012
- Geetika case politically motivated, Kanda tells court (Second Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Janardhana Reddy's custody extended till Oct 31 - Oct 17, 2011
- Kanda sent to 7 days police custody (Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- CBI grills Janardhana Reddy for more than five hours - Sep 13, 2011