Kidney racket kingpin denied bailMay 9th, 2008 - 9:24 pm ICT by admin
Ambala (Haryana), May 9 (IANS) A special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court Friday dismissed the bail application of Amit Kumar, the alleged kingpin of a multi-billion rupee kidney racket. The bail applications of Amit and his close accomplice, nurse Linda, were dismissed by special CBI magistrate Abdul Majid here. The court, however, granted bail to three other accused Umesh, Ramesh and Suresh.
The kingpin’s lawyer argued that Amit and Linda be granted bail since CBI had not filed the charge sheet within the specific period of 90 days of their arrest.
However, the CBI counsel asserted that the agency’s report filed before the court earlier was a charge sheet in itself.
The CBI report had stated that Amit and his accomplices were not qualified to carry out complicated kidney operations and had been illegally removing kidneys of people.
During investigations, CBI found that Amit alias Santosh Kumar Raut, who has a degree in ayurvedic medicine, has been booked in eight criminal cases in Mumbai, Jaipur, Guntur and Delhi for conducting illegal kidney transplants since 1994. It also contended that Amit, 43, was actively assisted by his brother, Jeewan Kumar, who possesses a degree in homeopathic medicine.
The ring that served clients from Britain, the US, Greece, Lebanon, Canada, Saudi Arabia and the UAE, among other countries, was busted by the police forces of Haryana and Uttar Pradesh Jan 24 in Gurgaon, the IT hub bordering New Delhi.
Using persuasion, trickery and threats, Amit and his aides allegedly forced poor patients and labourers to part with one of their kidneys for a pittance. The organs were then sold off to wealthy clients from India and abroad at huge profits.
Amit was nabbed after a fortnight’s hunt in Nepal Feb 10 and deported to India. He is at present in CBI custody.
- Court summons kidney scam kingpin from Jaipur - Jul 24, 2011
- CBI files chargesheet against kidney racket kingpin - Apr 29, 2008
- CWG scam: After Kalmadi gets bail, Bhanot moves plea - Jan 19, 2012
- 2G scam: Bail pleas of five corporate honchos rejected (Lead) - May 23, 2011
- Bureaucrat gets bail in rural health scheme scam - Apr 18, 2012
- Two accused apply for bail in Adarsh Society scam - Jun 04, 2012
- Court refuses anticipatory bail to Jagan - May 24, 2012
- Ramadoss, eight others get bail in graft case - Aug 04, 2012
- Order Wednesday on bail pleas of Kanimozhi, Sharad Kumar - Jun 07, 2011
- Jagan aide Vijay Sai Reddy gets bail - Apr 13, 2012
- 2G scam: Three accused withdraw bail pleas - Jun 20, 2011
- Court seeks CBI's response to Ramadoss bail plea - Jul 20, 2012
- Abhishek Verma, wife granted bail, arrested afresh - Aug 08, 2012
- Jagan's bail plea dismissed (Lead) - Jul 04, 2012
- Supreme Court rejects Kanimozhi's bail plea - Jun 20, 2011