Kidney racket busted in Madhya PradeshJune 28th, 2008 - 4:22 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, June 28 (IANS) An illegal kidney trade racket has been busted in Madhya Pradesh’s Ujjain town, the police said Saturday. Four suspects were arrested Friday when the police conducted search operations on the eve of President Pratibha Patil’s visit to the town, Superintendent of Police Manmeet Singh Narang told IANS over phone.
According to the police, the accused used to lure poor people, mostly those in government hospitals, on the pretext of getting them treated at better places free of cost.
“They would get unsuspecting people admitted to a private nursing home where their kidneys would be taken out,” the police said.
“The racket is believed to have links in Chennai, Ahmedabad, Coimbatore and Indore,” Narang said.
He said the racketeers had admitted they took out and sold 15 kidneys, the last one of Rajesh, a restaurant worker.
Rajesh’s kidney was sold for Rs.60.000 and transplanted at Starlink Hospital in Ahemedabad, he said.
Soni Nadiad and Vinod Patel of Ahmedabad are believed to be the masterminds behind the racket. The police have registered a case. A police team has gone to Ahmedabad.
- Six hospitals under scanner for illegal Kidney racket - Jun 30, 2008
- Son of kidney racket accused commits suicide - Jun 28, 2008
- Two arrested for selling their kidneys in Madhya Pradesh - Jul 14, 2008
- Two thrown out of train, one dies - May 14, 2012
- 25 students arrested for fake friendship club - May 14, 2011
- Two thrown out of train, one dead (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Father of White Revolution Verghese Kurien is dead (Lead) - Sep 09, 2012
- Court summons kidney scam kingpin from Jaipur - Jul 24, 2011
- Kashmiri student out of danger (Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Hyderabad hospital performs rare kidney transplant - Aug 19, 2011
- Kidney-transplant ring exposed in China - May 30, 2012
- International award for Gujarat doctor - Dec 01, 2010
- 4 nabbed for ferrying hawala money in Indore - Mar 14, 2010
- Properties of Madhya Pradesh officials raided - Jan 17, 2012
- Fake job racket, headed by Delhi Police constable, busted - Apr 30, 2012