Kidnapped soccer star Obodo released in NigeriaJune 11th, 2012 - 9:40 am ICT by IANS
Abuja, June 11 (IANS) Kidnapped Nigeria-born international soccer star Christian Obodo was released Sunday evening, according to a top-level security source.
Obodo was kidnapped in Delta state Saturday. The source, however, could not disclose whether or not a ransom was paid before the Nigeria-born midfielder was freed by his captors, Xinhua reported.
“I can confirm to you that the football star has reunited with his family a few hours ago,” the source said.
Abductors had initially demanded a ransom of 150, 000 euro ($188,000) , according to a family source.
Obodo who was in Nigeria to visit his family was driving alone in an area called Effurun in Delta state Saturday morning when some unidentified gunmen abducted him.
–Indo-Asian News Series
- Kidnapped Indian woman released in Nigeria - Oct 30, 2010
- Spanish doctor kidnapped in Nigeria set free - Apr 22, 2012
- Lucknow girl escapes rape by jumping off first floor - Jun 10, 2012
- Kidnap victim freed after scrawling note on toilet paper - Oct 11, 2011
- Abductors demand Rs.20 lakh to release Bihar student - Jun 30, 2012
- Gang demands Rs.50 lakh for abducted student - Jul 26, 2012
- Abducted Pakistani boy strangled to death - Mar 18, 2012
- Two Sikhs kidnapped in Pakistan rescued - Mar 01, 2010
- Abducted student released after 15 days - Jul 08, 2012
- Seven held for kidnapping boy in Uttar Pradesh - Mar 12, 2011
- Spanish doctor kidnapped in Nigeria - Apr 12, 2012
- Two kidnapped Assam businessmen rescued after three days - Sep 01, 2010
- 77 new polio cases found in Nigeria - Sep 09, 2012
- 69 die in Nigeria attacks, UN condemns it (Lead) - Nov 06, 2011
- Another businessman abducted in Bihar - Dec 30, 2010
Tags: abducted, abuja, asian news, christian obodo, delta state, family source, football star, indo, international soccer, midfielder, nigeria, ransom, saturday morning, security source, soccer star, sunday evening, top level security, unidentified gunmen, xinhua