Khap leaders to seek review of apex court directionApril 24th, 2011 - 11:31 pm ICT by IANS
Jind, April 24 (IANS) Within a week of the Supreme Court’s direction to state governments to rein in khap panchayats (caste councils) from issuing illegal diktats, khap leaders from across Haryana held a meeting here Sunday and decided to seek a review of the order.
During the ‘Sarva Khap Mahapanchayat’, khap leaders decided to file a review plea against the April 19 order of the apex court and to stage a protest demonstration at Jantar Mantar in New Delhi.
Representatives of around 84 khap panchayats participated in Sunday’s meeting.
“Khap panchayats have always worked for the welfare of our community. We have never tried to take the law into our hands and all decisions have been taken with the mutual consent. It is totally wrong to relate the incidents of honour killings with khap panchayats,” said Nafe Singh Nain, a senior khap leader, who presided over the meeting.
“We will fight against the Supreme Court’s decision and stage a widespread protest in New Delhi during parliament’s monsoon session,” he said.
Following the direction of Supreme Court, Haryana’s home secretary directed the deputy commissioners and police superintendents of all districts to keep a check on the activities of khap panchayats.
Amir Singh, another khap leader, said: “The court is unnecessarily harassing us. Khaps are the best medium to amicably settle various disputes. We would certainly not tolerate if anybody raises fingers towards our dignity and intentions. We would fight as a single unit and bring all panchayats under the same umbrella.”
“Haryana khaps will follow the path of Gandhian Anna Hazare and continue the protest peacefully,” said Singh.
- Mirchpur violence: Jat conclave demands fresh CBI probe (Lead) - Jan 15, 2011
- Mirchpur violence: Jat conclave wants fresh CBI probe - Jan 15, 2011
- Mirchpur violence: Jats demand SIT probe, block roads - Jan 23, 2011
- Mirchpur incident: Jats to call off protest - Jan 26, 2011
- Mirchpur violence: Jats continue to block rail tracks (Second lead) - Jan 17, 2011
- Divisions among Khap leaders, another meeting called May 23 (Second Lead) - Apr 13, 2010
- Mirchpur violence: Jat protest enters 11th day - Jan 25, 2011
- Mirchpur incident: Jats call off protest (Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Haryana khap asks couple to end marriage, probe on - Apr 20, 2011
- Mirchpur violence: Jat protest enters 10th day - Jan 24, 2011
- 'Khap Mahapanchayat' threatens MPs, Delhi blockade - May 24, 2010
- Mirchpur violence: Jats demand SIT probe; blockade disrupts traffic (Lead) - Jan 23, 2011
- Tikait threatens Parliament's Gherao - May 23, 2010
- Jats seek written assurance on quota (Lead) - Mar 26, 2011
- Haryana Jats withdraw agitation after talks with Hooda - Mar 26, 2011
Tags: amir, anna hazare, apex, apex court, caste, court direction, deputy commissioners, diktats, gandhian, home secretary, honour killings, mantar, monsoon session, mutual consent, nafe, New Delhi, police superintendents, protest demonstration, single unit, state governments