Khan Market parking woes: Court questions civic agencyJuly 15th, 2011 - 9:55 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 15 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Friday directed New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) to submit a site plan to sort out parking problems in the upscale Khan Market in central Delhi.
A division bench headed by Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul said: “You (NDMC) submit your site plan demarcating the area for paid parking and for free parking.”
The court also asked the agency to submit an affidavit by July 26.
The court earlier asked market traders and the NDMC to consider various options, including managing of the parking lots jointly, to avoid a confrontation over the civic agency’s plan to discontinue free parking.
The judge was hearing an appeal filed by the traders’ association against the court’s earlier order asking it to pay a monthly licence fee of Rs.5.34 lakh to the NDMC before June 6 to ensure free parking of vehicles.
In the event of failure to pay the fee, the civic body would be allowed to collect parking fees from vehicles parked in the market, the court said.
The parking problem in Khan Market has increased manifold over the years, with 74 residential flats in the market converted into restaurants and other commercial establishments apart from the already existing 150 shops.
- Notice to NDMC on Khan Market traders' plea - Jul 08, 2011
- No parking fee in Khan Market till June 6: Court - Jun 03, 2011
- Temporary free parking allowed in Khan Market of Delhi - Apr 08, 2011
- Court slams Delhi civic agencies for waterlogging (Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- Khan Market demolition, sealing drive put off by court (Lead) - Mar 17, 2011
- Set up committee to prevent waterlogging, says high court - Aug 28, 2012
- Court asks police to maintain peace during Shia procession - Jan 24, 2011
- Give licences to food vans, court tells MCD - Mar 22, 2012
- Court seeks report on water-logging in Delhi - Aug 07, 2012
- Hawkers cannot be allowed to choke streets: Court - Dec 29, 2011
- Apex court slams civic officials for illegal constructions - Jun 01, 2011
- IIT-Kanpur to probe presence of Mughal structure in Delhi park - Aug 31, 2012
- Court seeks report from civic agencies on water-logging - Jul 11, 2012
- Court concerned over excessive parking charges - Apr 07, 2010
- Civic agencies pulled up for shoddy work - Dec 21, 2009
Tags: affidavit, central delhi, civic body, commercial establishments, confrontation, delhi high court, division bench, kaul, khan market, kishan, lakh, licence fee, market traders, ndmc, New Delhi, parking lots, residential flats, sanjay, traders association, woes