Khalil Chisti’s release to take a few daysApril 9th, 2012 - 10:28 pm ICT by IANS
Ajmer, April 9 (IANS) It will take at least a couple of days for 80-year-old Pakistani prisoner Mohammad Khalil Chisti to step out of the Ajmer Central Jail in Rajasthan even as the Supreme Court granted him conditional bail Monday, sources said.
The apex court order will reach the Rajasthan High Court in Jaipur from where it will be forwarded to the district court in Ajmer, about 150 km from the state capital, sources in the Ajmer Central Jail told IANS.
Chisti will have to arrange two witnesses, hand over his passport and file an affidavit in the district court saying that he would not leave Ajmer before he is released, sources added.
“Chisti’s lawyer from New Delhi had informed him over phone that he has been granted bail. However, the formalities will take at least two days,” said a jail officer.
Chisti, a virologist in the Karachi Medical College, was sentenced to life imprisonment last January after a 18-year-long trial in a murder case. He moved the Rajasthan High Court against the lower court’s verdict, but his plea was rejected.
Hopes for Chisti’s release had emerged when (now retired) Justice Markandeya Katju of the Supreme Court last April requested Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to release the Pakistani prisoner on “humanitarian grounds”.
Acting on Justice Katju’s appeal, Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot had approved the mercy plea of Chisti and sent it to the governor for final clearance.
Some prominent non-government organisations and social activists are supporting Chisti’s release.
Chisti and some others had been accused of killing a man, identified as Irshid, in a fight in April 1992. Chisti was on a visit to Ajmer for offering prayers at the dargah of Khwaja Moinuddin Chisti at the time.
- Pakistani prisoner Khalil Chisti steps out of jail - Apr 11, 2012
- Pakistani prisoner, 80, moves closer to release - Aug 05, 2011
- Pakistani prisoner may be released - Jul 27, 2011
- Home ministry looking into Pakistani prisoner in Ajmer: PM - Aug 11, 2011
- SC grants bail to Pakistani doctor Chisty - Apr 09, 2012
- VHP opposes release of Pakistani prisoner - Jun 24, 2011
- Apex court grants bail to Chisti, appreciates India-Pakistan bonhomie (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Send Chisty to Pakistan, Zardari tells Manmohan - Apr 14, 2012
- India must let Chisty, Pakistani fishermen return: Activists - Apr 13, 2012
- Pakistan hails Indian bail to doctor - Apr 09, 2012
- Bail to Chisty comes at a significant time, says nephew - Apr 09, 2012
- Pakistanis urge India to free aged prisoner Chishti - Apr 08, 2012
- SC impleads government on Pakistani virologist's plea (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- SC impleads government on Pakistani virologist's plea - May 04, 2012
- Pakistani virologist Chisty released, apex court told - Mar 19, 2012
Tags: apex court, ashok, capital sources, central jail, chief minister, dargah, humanitarian grounds, jail officer, life imprisonment, manmohan, manmohan singh, mohammad khalil, moinuddin chisti, non government organisations, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rajasthan high court, social activists, two witnesses, virologist