Key suspect in Mumbai terror attack held (Second Lead)June 25th, 2012 - 7:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 25 (IANS) Abu Jindal Hamza, an Indian suspected to be involved in the 2008 Mumbai terror attack and a member of the Indian Mujahideen (IM) terrorist organisation, has been arrested, police said Monday.
The accused, who is also suspected to have links with the Lashkar-e-Taiba terror group, was arrested from the Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGI) here June 21 after his deportation to India from a Gulf country, a police officer said.
Hamza, 30, alias Riasat Ali, was believed to be one of the key handlers of the terrorists involved in the Mumbai attack. He was said to be in Pakistan when the attack took place, the officer said.
His alias had previously been given as Sayeed Zabi ud Deen, one of the many that he uses, police said.
The terror suspect, who hails from Georai area of Beed district in Maharashtra, was presented before a court here June 21 and sent to 15 days’ police custody.
According to police, Hamza went to Pakistan to allegedly guide and train terrorists for the Mumbai attack in which 166 people were killed.
“It’s an operation that we had been preparing for months. Apart from the Mumbai terror attack, he was also involved in the Aurangabad (Maharashtra) arms haul in 2006 and a pipeline blast in Ahmedabad. He seems to have fled to Pakistan immediately after the Aurangabad arms haul,” a police official said.
External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna said appropriate action will be taken after investigations conducted by the Delhi Police.
“The Delhi Police has been doing a magnificent job. First let them go through the investigation, they will then send a report to the government and we shall act accordingly,” Krishna told reporters.
- Key suspect in Mumbai terror attack held (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Key suspect in Mumbai terror attack held - Jun 25, 2012
- Delhi Police has done a magnificent job: S.M. Krishna - Jun 25, 2012
- 26/11 Indian mastermind held, Mumbai police seek custody (Roundup) (With Images) - Jun 25, 2012
- Abu Jindal's mother says he is innocent - Jun 28, 2012
- Gujarat riots spurred Jundal's radicalisation: Investigators - Jul 11, 2012
- Abu Jundal sent to judicial custody till Sep 24 - Sep 10, 2012
- Jundal to be questioned in arms haul case - Aug 13, 2012
- Jundal's questioning extended till Sep 10 - Sep 03, 2012
- 26/11 plotter Jundal abandoned family for terrorism - Jul 08, 2012
- Abu Jindal has no remorse for Mumbai carnage, say investigators - Jul 03, 2012
- Bring terror suspect Hamza to Mumbai: Court (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Abu Jundal's police custody extended till Aug 13 - Jul 31, 2012
- Confirmed that 26/11 controlled from Pakistan: Chidambaram (Lead) - Jul 04, 2012
- Confirmed that 26/11 controlled from Pakistan: Chidambaram (Second Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
Tags: ahmedabad, delhi police, deportation, external affairs minister, hamza, indira gandhi, indira gandhi international airport, jindal, krishna, lashkar e taiba, magnificent job, mujahideen, police custody, police officer, police official, terror attack, terror group, terror suspect, terrorist organisation, zabi