Key suspect in Mumbai terror attack held (Lead)June 25th, 2012 - 5:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 25 (IANS) Abu Jindal Hamza, a key suspect involved inthe 26/11 Mumbai terror attack and a member of the Indian Mujahideen (IM) terrorist organisation, has been arrested, police said Monday. He had previously been named as Abu Hamza.
According to sources, Home Minister P. Chidambaram is meeting with senior police officers, after which the details of the arrest will be revealed.
“Home Minister P. Chidambaram and senior police officers are in a meeting, after which more details of the arrest are likely to be shared,” a Delhi Police officer told IANS.
Hamza was arrested from Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGI) last week.
Hamza, alias Riasat Ali, is believed to be one of the key handlers of the terrorists involved in the 26/11 Mumbai attack. His alias had previously been given as Sayeed Zabi ud Deen, one of the many that he uses, police said.
Meanwhile, External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna said appropriate action will be taken after investigations conducted by the Delhi Police.
“The Delhi Police has been doing a magnificent job. First let them go through the investigation, they will then send a report to the government and we shall act accordingly,” Krishna told reporters.
Hamza was produced before a court here June 21 and was sent to 15 days police custody. He was said to be in Pakistan when the attacks took place in 2008, a police officer said. A total of 166 people had died in the attack.
- Delhi Police has done a magnificent job: S.M. Krishna - Jun 25, 2012
- Key suspect in Mumbai terror attack held - Jun 25, 2012
- Key suspect in Mumbai terror attack held (Second Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- 26/11 control room was in Pakistan: Chidambaram - Jul 04, 2012
- India seeks to nail Pakistan on 26/11 with Hamza's confession (Roundup) - Jun 27, 2012
- 26/11 Indian mastermind held, Mumbai police seek custody (Roundup) (With Images) - Jun 25, 2012
- Pakistan media plays down Hamza arrest - Jun 26, 2012
- Mumbai police want to confront Hamza with Kasab - Jun 28, 2012
- Court declines to give Hamza custody to Mumbai police (lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- No slanging match with Pakistan, says Krishna - Jun 28, 2012
- Pakistan should admit Jindal's hand in 26/11: Chidambaram - Jun 29, 2012
- Pakistan should admit Abu Jindal was 26/11 mastermind: India (Lead) - Jun 29, 2012
- Confirmed that 26/11 controlled from Pakistan: Chidambaram (Second Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Confirmed that 26/11 controlled from Pakistan: Chidambaram (Lead) - Jul 04, 2012
- Court no to Mumbai Police custody of Hamza - Jun 27, 2012
Tags: abu hamza, alias, delhi police, external affairs minister, home minister, indira gandhi, indira gandhi international airport, jindal, june 21, krishna, magnificent job, mujahideen, New Delhi, p chidambaram, police custody, police officer, police officers, terror attack, terrorist organisation, zabi