Key Supreme Court decisions in 2011 (With Law yearender)December 28th, 2011 - 6:00 pm ICT by IANS
Judicial milestones of 2011
Jan 21: Life term upheld for Australian Graham Staines’ killers Ravinder Kumar Pal alias Dara Singh and Mahender Hambram in Odisha.
March 3: Appointment of Central Vigilance Commissioner P.J. Thomas struck down.
March 7: Court rules Aruna Shanbaug to live but permits passive euthanasia (passive mercy killing) under certain circumstances.
March 7: Nod for common MBBS entrance test.
April 15: Rights activist Binayak Sen granted bail.
April 19: Diktat by khap panchayats ordering coercion held illegal.
May 12: Apex court orders CBI probe in rural job scheme implementation in Odisha.
May 13: Insecticide endosulfan banned.
July 4: Probe team set up on money laundering during the hearing on black money case.
July 5: Court stops Chhattisgarh from using tribals in fight against the Maoists.
July 6: Land acquisition in Greater Noida quashed.
July 6: Court allows French firm to mine in Meghalaya.
Aug 9 : Students allowed to inspect their evaluated answer sheets.
Nov 23: Court says bail should be the rule and jail an exception for accused.
- Apex court spared neither holy cows, nor corrupt in 2011 (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 28, 2011
- Aruna Shanbaug to live: Supreme Court (Second Lead) - Mar 07, 2011
- Medical fraternity: Aruna Shanbaug has right to live (Lead) - Mar 07, 2011
- Medical fraternity welcomes Aruna Shanbaug verdict - Mar 07, 2011
- Supreme Court clarifies on active, passive euthanasia - Mar 07, 2011
- Aruna Shanbaug will live: Supreme Court (Roundup) - Mar 07, 2011
- Aruna Shanbaug to live, says Supreme Court (Lead) - Mar 07, 2011
- Aruna Shanbaug to live: Supreme Court (Third Lead) - Mar 07, 2011
- Apex court upholds life for Graham Staines' killer (Lead) - Jan 21, 2011
- Govt. examining whether fresh legislation required for passive euthanasia: Moily - Mar 13, 2011
- Moily wants a serious debate on euthanasia - Mar 07, 2011
- Debate on euthanasia a must: Moily - Mar 07, 2011
- Let Aruna Shanbaug go, say Mumbaikars - Mar 07, 2011
- Famous euthanasia cases across the world - Mar 07, 2011
- Graham Staines killing: A timeline - Jan 21, 2011
Tags: answer sheets, apex court, black money, cbi probe, dara singh, french firm, graham staines, greater noida, insecticide endosulfan, j thomas, key supreme court, land acquisition, mahender, maoists, mbbs entrance, meghalaya, probe team, scheme implementation, supreme court decisions, tribals