Key militant leader held in PakistanDecember 17th, 2011 - 7:47 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Dec 17 (IANS) A key member of the Taliban-linked outfit Al Mukhtar, along with five other militants, has been arrested in Pakistan’s port city of Karachi, officials said.
Karachi police’s specialised unit Friday arrested outfit leader Asghar alias Omar, and five of his accomplices — Zahid alias Osama, Abid, Usman alias Hamza, Shakir and Ali Akbar, the Daily Times reported Saturday.
The Anti-Extremist Cell of the Crime Investigation Department said the suspects were involved in at least eight cases of terrorist activities in the city, including an attack on a club in April in which 22 people were killed and 50 injured.
A huge cache of arms and explosives, including 50 kg of explosives material, three hand grenades, 10 mini rocket grenades, three remote controlled bombs, five kg ball bearings and nut bolts, 30 litres of hydrogen peroxide, five Kalashnikov rifles and other materials were recovered from their possession.
Police said the group had attacked wine shops, gambling dens and cinemas. Group leader Asghar is said to be an expert in making bombs and was trained in Waziristan.
- Key militant leader held in Pakistan - Dec 17, 2011
- Bomb blast averted in Karachi - Jul 20, 2012
- Pakistan nabs 'most wanted criminal' in Karachi for 58 killings - Mar 28, 2011
- Two TTP terrorists, would-be teen suicide bomber, arrested in Karachi - Oct 26, 2010
- Guerrilla module busted in Srinagar - Aug 22, 2012
- Six suicide bombers arrested in Pakistan - Dec 16, 2010
- Six Indian Mujahideen suspects held for terror attacks - Nov 30, 2011
- Anti-tank rifle seized from Russian man's home - Aug 03, 2012
- Over 5,000 dacoits held in Karachi in 2012 - Jul 22, 2012
- Four terrorists nabbed in Karachi - May 13, 2011
- Huge cache of arms recovered in Bengal - Feb 27, 2011
- Plot to blow-up Pakistani PM's rally foiled - Dec 01, 2010
- Plot to bomb Pakistani PM's rally foiled (Lead) - Dec 01, 2010
- Scientists work on ways to track terror bomb sources - May 27, 2010
- Four arrested, 205 kg of ganja seized - May 31, 2011
Tags: accomplices, ali akbar, alias, arms and explosives, ball bearings, bolts, bombs, crime investigation department, extremist, group leader, hand grenades, hydrogen peroxide, kalashnikov rifles, militant leader, militants, pakistan islamabad, shakir, specialised unit, terrorist activities, wine shops