Key events in Binayak Sen case since his arrestMay 25th, 2009 - 5:06 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, May 25 (IANS) The following is a timeline of events since the May 2007 arrest of civil rights activist Binayak Sen on unproven charges of links with Maoists in Chhattisgarh.
May 14, 2007 - Binayak Sen arrested in Chhattisgarh’s Bilaspur town on charges of acting as a courier between jailed Maoist leader Narayan Sanyal and businessman Piyush Guha, also accused of having links with Maoists.
May 15, 2007 - Sen remanded to judicial custody by a local court. Bail denied.
May 18, 2007 - Sen produced in sessions court. Court orders a search of Sen’s house at Katora Talab in Raipur in presence of independent witnesses and his wife, Ilina Sen. The search was conducted the next day.
May 22, 2007 - Sen produced in sessions court along with Piyush Guha. Judicial remand extended to June 5. Court orders search of Sen’s personal computer.
May 25, 2007 - Sen denied bail again as Chhattisgarh police claim he was a threat to state security.
May 26-June 4, 2007 - Series of rallies and meetings in support of Sen held across India and abroad, including Raipur, Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai London, Boston and New York. Various delegations of physicians and human rights activists meet chief secretary and law secretary to appeal for Sen’s release.
June 5, 2007 - Sen produced in court, rebuts allegations by police.
June 6-June 11, 2007 - Sen’s computer analysed by Central Forensic Science Laboratory (CFSL), Hyderabad in the absence of defence lawyers.
July 23, 2007 - Chhattisgarh High Court rejects Sen’s bail plea after police claim incriminating evidence found in hard disc belonging to him.
Aug 3, 2007 - Police file charge-sheets under the Chhattisgarh Special Public Security Act and Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act in the court of Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate Satyabhama Dubey against Sen.
Dec 10, 2007 - Sen denied bail by two-judge bench of Supreme Court.
Dec 31, 2007 - Sen awarded R.R. Keithan Gold Medal by the Indian Academy of Social Sciences in recognition of “his outstanding contribution to the advancement of science of Nature-Man-Society for improvement of quality of life of the poor, the downtrodden and the oppressed people of Chhattisgarh”.
March 15-April 11, 2008 - Sen kept in solitary confinement. Prison authorities claim it is for his security.
April 21, 2008 - Sen awarded Jonathan Mann Award by the Global Health Council.
May 30, 2008 - Sen’s trial begins in Raipur.
Aug 11, 2008 - Second bail petition filed in Chhattisgarh High Court in Bilaspur.
May 4, 2009 - Supreme Court issues notice to Chhattisgarh government on Sen’s bail plea. Asks state government to provide “best medical aid” to Sen, who is suffering from a heart ailment.
May 25, 2009 - Sen granted bail by a vacation bench of the Supreme Court comprising Justice Markandey Katju and Justice Deepak Verma.
- Binayak Sen case timeline - Dec 24, 2010
- Timeline of Binayak Sen case - Apr 15, 2011
- Binayak Sen case - A timeline - Feb 10, 2011
- Apex court notice to Chhattisgarh on Binayak associate's bail (Lead) - May 24, 2011
- Binayak Sen, two others get life term; family, activists furious (Third Lead) - Dec 24, 2010
- Binayak Sen convicted; family, activists furious (Second Lead) - Dec 24, 2010
- Supreme Court adjourns Binayak Sen's bail plea till Friday - Apr 11, 2011
- Binayak Sen gets life, angry activists vow appeal (Roundup) - Dec 24, 2010
- Chhattisgarh high court dismisses Binayak Sen's bail plea (Lead, Changing Dateline) - Feb 10, 2011
- Tight security in Raipur for court ruling on Sen (Lead) - Dec 23, 2010
- Court rejects Binayak Sen's bail, activists shocked (Night Lead) - Feb 10, 2011
- Court rejects Binayak Sen's bail plea, activists shocked (Fourth Lead) - Feb 10, 2011
- Chhattisgarh HC rejects Binayak Sen's bail plea - Feb 10, 2011
- Bengal Left hails Sen's bail - Apr 15, 2011
- Chhattisgarh issued notice on Binayak Sen's bail plea (Lead) - Mar 11, 2011