Key accused in TDP leader’s killing surrendersMay 20th, 2008 - 9:11 pm ICT by admin
Hyderabad, May 20 (IANS) A key accused in the gruesome killing of Telugu Desam Party (TDP) leader and eight others Tuesday surrendered to the police in Kurnool in Andhra Pradesh. Madduleti Naidu and two others surrendered before police officials at Kurnoo town but insisted that they had no role in the murder of P. Venkatappa Naidu and others.
In one of the worst incidents of violence in Rayalseema region, the TDP leader and his followers were done to death Saturday when a truck rammed into their Tata Sumo van. The assailants, who arrived in another vehicle, then attacked them with bombs.
While nine people were killed, two others were injured in the attack, which was initially thought to be a road accident.
Madduleti Naidu denied owning the truck involved in the incident.
Venkatappa Naidu was a powerful leader in the region and had several criminal cases pending against him. He had a long running feud with another factional leader, V. Padma, who allegedly enjoyed the backing of the ruling Congress party.
On a complaint by Venkatappa Naidu’s relatives, the police have booked murder case against 18 people including Padma, Madduleti Naidu and Kotla Harichakrapani Reddy, a cousin of Kurnool MP Kotla Suryaprakash Reddy.
Suryaprakash Reddy, son of former chief minister Kotla Vijaybhaskar Reddy, has denied that his family was involved in the murder.
Kurnool and three other districts of Rayalseema region are notorious for deadly factional violence linked to the Congress and TDP.
The TDP has alleged that more than 130 leaders and cadres were killed in the region since the Congress came to power in the state four years ago.
- TDP leader among nine killed in Andhra Pradesh (Lead) - May 17, 2008
- Life term for man who murdered Andhra ex-minister's killer - Nov 10, 2010
- TDP leader, seven others killed in bomb explosion - May 17, 2008
- Two TDP leaders hacked to death - Jul 24, 2010
- Three-cornered contest in second phase (Poll curtainraiser - Andhra Pradesh) - Apr 22, 2009
- A saga of chilling feud between two families of Anantapur - Jan 04, 2011
- YSR Congress sweeps Andhra by-polls, bags Lok Sabha, 15 assembly seats (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- YSRCP sweeps Andhra by-polls, bags one Lok Sabha, 15 assembly seats (Fourth Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Three TDP workers hacked to death in Anantapur - Sep 15, 2011
- Gangster-politician Suri shot in Hyderabad - Jan 03, 2011
- TDP leader found murdered in Hyderabad - Sep 27, 2010
- Gangster Suri murder accused Bhanu arrested (Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- TRS, YSR Congress woo suspended TDP leader - May 26, 2011
- Rebel TDP legislators begin fast for unity on Telangana - Jul 03, 2011
- Andhra in ferment, Congress at war within over Telangana (Roundup) - Dec 15, 2009