Ketan Desai’s election to Gujarat University senate challengedMarch 28th, 2011 - 10:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 28 (IANS) The Supreme Court Monday issued notice on a petition by an NGO challenging the election of Ketan Desai, a former president of the Medical Council of India (MCI), to the Gujarat University senate.
The petition was filed by People For Better Treatment (PBT) president Kunal Saha.
Desai was removed from the MCI last year over allegations of “professional misconduct” and corruption. His medical registration was also suspended by the MCI.
An apex court bench of Justice G.S. Singhvi and Justice A.K. Ganguly issued notice after it was told that Desai could not be elected to the university senate on a post reserved for a registered medical practitioner.
The court said it would appoint a lawyer to assist it in the case.
The petitioner has challenged a Gujarat High Court order dismissing his plea on the ground that being a non-resident Indian (NRI) he was not entitled to move the court and invoke public interest.
The high court also imposed a cost of Rs.10,000 on petitioner Saha. His NGO is based in Kolkota and he is settled in America.
Appearing for the petitioner, senior counsel M.N. Krishnamani told the court that if Saha’s stakes in the matter were in question then the court could appoint a lawyer to decide the controversial election of Desai to the Gujarat University senate.
The high court while dismissing Saha’s petition said he has not established his credential or bonafide for pursuing the case.
The high court held that Saha had not shown how he was associated with the field of medical education.
The petitioner told the apex court that Desai was caught by the CBI for allegedly taking a bribe April 23, 2010. Subsequently, the MCI with its 100 members and Desai as its president was dissolved and replaced by a six-member board of governors.
Desai was elected president of MCI in 2009.
- After court rap, doctor's group unsure about PIL on Ketan Desai - Dec 21, 2010
- Pay in dollars if plea is found frivolous, court tells NRI - Dec 20, 2010
- Plea against Ketan Desai's university post rejected (Lead) - Dec 22, 2010
- Gujarat court rejects plea against Ketan Desai - Dec 22, 2010
- Court questions plea against Ketan Desai - Dec 13, 2010
- Court reserves order on plea against Ketan Desai - Dec 15, 2010
- Ketan Desai's election to university body challenged - Nov 29, 2010
- Apex court issues notice to IMA over doctors' strike - Jun 25, 2012
- Court bench refuses to take up Ketan Desai PIL - Dec 02, 2010
- Doctors group protests Desai's election to Gujarat University senate - Nov 20, 2010
- Varun Gandhi gets apex court notice for poll speeches - Dec 02, 2011
- Judge recuses herself from hearing plea against doctors strike - Jun 22, 2012
- Don't divide people into pro, anti-Maoist supporters: Apex court - May 06, 2011
- Court refuses to relax MBBS eligibility for northeast tribals - Aug 10, 2011
- 'Tainted Ketan Desai off to Canada meet soon' - Oct 09, 2010
Tags: apex court, board of governors, bonafide, bribe, cbi, controversial election, court bench, ganguly, gujarat high court, gujarat university, ketan desai, kunal, medical council of india, medical council of india mci, medical practitioner, member board, petitioner, saha, senior counsel, university senate