Kerala’s Smart City project is unlikely to materialise: UDFJanuary 19th, 2009 - 7:36 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Jan 19 (IANS) The Congress-led United Democratic Front (UDF) Monday expressed fears that the much talked about Rs.15 billion “Smart City” project proposed in Kochi is unlikely to materialise. “Things have reached a point of no return and it appears that we have lost the project,” UDF convenor P.P. Thankachen said after a party meeting.
The project was given to Dubai-based firm Internet City.
“We say this because nothing has happened barring few talks. Precious time has been lost and nothing has moved at the site and it appears that this mega project has been lost to the state because of the callous attitude of the Left government,” he said.
The foundation stone of the project was laid Nov 16, 2007 by chief minister V.S. Achuthanandan. Since then, barring five board meetings, there has been no movement in the project.
Last month, Achuthanandan had alleged that the UDF is out to scuttle this project and when this was pointed out to Thankachen, he shot back saying that they are not a destructive political front.
“See, this project is the baby of Oommen Chandy, the then chief minister in 2006. We could have signed the agreement as the High Court gave us the permission, but we did not do it. And then Achuthanandan’s government signed the agreement. We will not kill our baby and the Left are to be solely blamed,” said Thankachen.
So far, for the project’s first phase, only 136 acres were granted SEZ clearance last year while for the remaining 110 acres clearance is yet to be secured.
The project is slated to come up on a 246-acre plot, with an 8.8 million square feet of built-up space, of which 70 percent is earmarked for IT and IT-enabled Services.
- First phase of Smart City Kochi project to be commissioned soon - Jun 23, 2011
- Chandy demands probe into Smart City deal - Oct 10, 2008
- Two years after, Smart City foundation stone gathers moss - Nov 16, 2009
- Kerala accuses Smart City developer of raising fresh demands - May 25, 2009
- Opposition wants Achuthanandan's son probed in Smart City deal - Oct 07, 2008
- Jailed Kerala leader to skip assembly polls - Mar 23, 2011
- Dubai IT firm wants freehold land from Kerala government - Apr 21, 2009
- Kerala government, opposition spar over Smart City Kochi project - Mar 30, 2010
- 'Smart City Kochi delay due to government ineffectiveness' - Feb 09, 2010
- Smart City project cannot be delayed any further: Developer - Jun 01, 2009
- Smart City Kochi wants SEZ status without strings - Dec 22, 2008
- Slowdown may hit Kerala Smart City project: Achuthanandan - May 21, 2009
- Kerala court cancels Varkala assembly poll - Aug 21, 2012
- Law takes its own course, Chandy to Achuthanandan - Jun 17, 2011
- One year later, Kochi project stands on foundation stone - Nov 16, 2008