Kerala’s senior police official suspended for airport brawlFebruary 16th, 2009 - 11:36 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Feb 16 (IANS) The Kerala government Monday suspended two police officials who had failed to act after a foreign national and an influential Dubai-based businessman allegedly manhandled a security man at the airport early this month.
Inspector General of Police Arun Kumar Sinha told IANS that the suspended officials included Assistant Commissioner of Police Sanal Kumar and sub-inspector Prithviraj.
“They have been suspended because of negligence and dereliction of duty,” said Sinha.
The foreign national and his Keralite businessman friend jumped the queue at the immigration counter and allegedly manhandled the Central Industrial Security Force personnel who sought to discipline them.
Egyptian national Ahmmed Mohammed, who holds a British passport, and Keralite businessman Madathil Reghu, according to media reports, were close to the son of Kerala Home Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan.
They were let off following the intervention of higher-ups.
After the media raised a hue and cry, Mohammed surrendered and was let out on bail while Reghu is still absconding and an arrest warrant is now pending against him.
The Intelligence Bureau has also conducted a detailed inquiry and forwarded its report to the government.
- Dubai-based Kerala businessman gets bail in airport brawl case - Feb 24, 2009
- Chandy seeks probe into assault on Thiruvananthapuram airport staff - Feb 10, 2009
- Chandigarh kidnapping case: Three cops suspended - Jan 19, 2011
- Policeman suspended for letting off harassment accused - Apr 16, 2012
- Mayawati orders probe into girl's death at police station - Jun 13, 2011
- Cop suspended for stealing mobile phone (With Images) - Aug 19, 2012
- Rajasthan Police sub-inspector arrested for bribery - Aug 20, 2012
- Nun's murder: Seven detained, police officer suspended - Nov 18, 2011
- Mayawati orders probe into girl's death at police station (Lead) - Jun 13, 2011
- Suspected custody death: Four cops suspended - Nov 04, 2011
- Police sub-inspector shot dead in Kerala - Sep 12, 2010
- Proceedings against suspended cop dropped - Mar 31, 2011
- Ten mobile phones seized from Bihar jail - Mar 11, 2010
- Enthusiastic voting in Kerala elections (Third Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Two cops suspended for assault on MNS legislator - Mar 18, 2011