Kerala’s school re-admits girl after three weeks’ picketingJune 10th, 2008 - 9:39 pm ICT by IANS
Idukki (Kerala) June 10 (IANS) Class 5 student Roshna T.Henry, who was picketing for the past three weeks outside her school run by the Tata Tea company, was Tuesday allowed to re-join it. For the past three weeks, Roshna and her parents were picketing outside the Tata High Range School’s gate here after the school gave her a ‘transfer certificate’ — effectively throwing her out of the school - on the ground that her father was no longer an employee of the Tata Tea company.
After a reconciliation talk between the school authorities, Tata Tea officials and Roshna’s parents here Tuesday, the school relented and agreed to re-admit her. But it laid the condition that she would not be eligible for fee concession offered to Tata Tea employees.
The officials gave her the ‘transfer certificate’ from the school as her father had not joined work for the past two years after he was transferred. But she was allowed to continue her studies during that period.
Her father Henry Joseph said there was a court case against his transfer and till that is settled, no decision should be taken for her ouster from the school.
He said the school officials had diluted the entry requirements by admitting children of the local legislator and a State Electricity Board official, while the rules stipulate that admission is only for the children of the employees of Tata Tea and its subsidiary.
Hearing the news that she can return to the classes from Wednesday, a beaming Roshna and her parents thanked all those who supported their cause.
- Class 5 student on sit-in outside Kerala school - Jun 03, 2008
- Court directs government to re-admit failed student - Jul 26, 2011
- Class 10 student rapped for uploading classmate's obscene photo - Nov 18, 2011
- Shops shut in violence-hit east Delhi area; situation under control (Second Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Divorced woman moves court against passport office - Aug 08, 2012
- Visva Bharati victim joins another school - Jul 18, 2012
- When Zia-ul Haq was punished in Shimla - Mar 02, 2012
- Class 12 students win battle against school, board in apex court - Jul 16, 2012
- Notice to CBSE, Delhi government for name correction - Sep 03, 2011
- Over 100 people start fast with Hazare - Dec 27, 2011
- Headscarf row: School management suspends principal - May 07, 2010
- IB diploma? Delhi University not interested - Jul 20, 2011
- Widow moves court as school insists on son's fees - Aug 22, 2011
- Noida school student kidnapped - Aug 16, 2010
- Cheers break out at Preeja's home - Nov 21, 2010