Kerala’s Jacobite Church orders probe into bishop’s claimsJune 25th, 2012 - 8:20 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, June 25 (IANS) The Malankara Jacobite Syrian Church Monday asked its bishop Kuriakose Mar Clemis to keep away from all duties and responsibilities as a bishop and formed an eight-member committee to inquire into the allegations that he has raised.
This decision was announced by the church spokesperson soon after a meeting of the church synod, held near here at their headquarters.
“The committee will include three bishops, two priests and three from the laity,” said the spokesperson to reporters.
Mar Clemis shocked the faithful when he went public on TV channels Sunday, claiming that his life was in danger and a section of the church was against him and trotting out stories that were largely believed to be baseless.
He also went to the extent of saying that he had paid Rs.3 crore to church higher-ups to become a bishop three years back.
He made this statement after he was last week asked to hand over the responsibilities of the Idukki dioceses of the church where he was serving as bishop.
- CBI questions head of Syrian Jacobite Church in murder case - Oct 21, 2011
- Kerala's church feud - over 100 years and continuing - Oct 12, 2010
- Cardinal-designate George Alencherry leaves for Vatican - Feb 15, 2012
- Syro-Malabar Church leader elevated to Cardinal - Jan 06, 2012
- Catholics in Kerala elated as Alencherry ordained cardinal - Feb 18, 2012
- Presence of CPI-M politburo member at church altar kicks up row - Sep 02, 2012
- Dwindling numbers worry Kerala church - Aug 22, 2010
- Bigger conspiracy in killing, says murdered priest's widow - May 09, 2010
- Man impersonates dead bishop to fraudulently sell his land - Dec 13, 2010
- Kerala Christian priest faces murder charge - May 07, 2010
- Hindu statesman Zed to preside over interfaith-panel of Episcopal Convention in Nevada - Apr 29, 2011
- Hindu statesman Zed urges Church of England to approve women bishops - Nov 28, 2010
- India's Catholic church prepares to prevent scandals - Apr 27, 2010
- No request for accused priest's return to US: Church - Apr 06, 2010
- Accused of abuse, Catholic priest asked to return to US (Lead) - Apr 07, 2010