Kerala to set up Malayalam Mission for diasporaJune 18th, 2008 - 8:26 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, June 18 (IANS) The Kerala government Wednesday accepted an expert committee report on setting up of an autonomous body, Malayalam Mission, to reach out to the Malayali diaspora. Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan, after the weekly cabinet meeting here, said the report submitted by veteran Malayalam language exponent and writer O.N.V. Kurup, to set up Malayalam Mission to spread the state’s language and culture to its non-resident population, has been accepted.
“This would be an autonomous body that would help to spread the Malayalam language to the diaspora and also for spreading Kerala’s culture,” said Achuthanandan.
Setting up of cultural centres abroad has been a long standing demand of many Malayali organisations, especially in the US and the Middle East. This was also one of the points in the governor’s address to the state assembly this year.
There are nearly two million Malayalis settled abroad mostly in various Middle East countries.
According to the government, non-residents sent up Rs.245.25 billion in remittances last fiscal, accounting for nearly 20 percent of the state’s net domestic product.
- PM presents Jnanpith Award to O.N.V. Kurup - Feb 11, 2011
- Jnanpith winner ONV arrives to rousing welcome - Sep 25, 2010
- Kerala to form panels to protect workers in Middle East - Jun 25, 2012
- Malayalam to be made compulsory in Kerala schools: Left manifesto - Mar 15, 2011
- Kurup, new young poets bring Malayalam poetry to centre-stage - Oct 02, 2010
- Kurup, Shaji Karun, Jayaram among Kerala's Padma awardees - Jan 25, 2011
- Kerala budget has nothing much for non-resident Keralites - Mar 05, 2010
- Goa sets up emergency fund for its NRIs - Jan 20, 2011
- Kerala budgets didn't do justice to NRIs, says Issac (Lead) - Feb 10, 2011
- Kerala readies for next round of migration study - May 25, 2012
- Malayalam IPTV channel launched for expatriates - May 11, 2011
- Kerala to float NRK bonds for development projects - Jun 20, 2012
- New scheme for unemployed Non-Resident Keralites soon - Feb 24, 2010
- Kerala shelves proposed Islamic bank - Mar 03, 2010
- Kerala plans heritage village for diaspora - Jul 13, 2010