Kerala to recruit more women as police officersJuly 9th, 2008 - 5:43 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, July 9 (IANS) Kerala will induct more women in the state police force for maintenance of the law and order situation of the state. Home Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan announced in the state legislative assembly Wednesday that the government has initiated measures to increase the number of women police officers. The Kerala Police Act would be amended soon to enable the public service commission (PSC) to invite applications from women for the posts of sub-inspectors, he said.
At present women are not recruited directly as sub-inspectors.
In a written reply during question hour, Kodiyeri said the police department feels a shortage of women police officers.
The state police force at present has 74 women sub-inspectors, 21 circle inspectors, one deputy superintendent, one superintendent of police and three women IPS officers.
The women police constables in the state are just about 2,000 in the 50,000-strong general branch of the force.
Welcoming the minister’s announcement, Inspector General of Police B.Sandhya told IANS that it would be really good if there were more women police officers in the state police.
“The general and executive branches of the police want a sizeable number of women police officials. Today the job of the ’station house officer’ is done by men. The presence of a woman officer, especially in a police station, would be nice,” she said.
The written test for the sub-inspector’s post would be common for both men and women. However, the women would not be asked to compete with men in the physical test.
- Bihar gets its first all-women police station - Jan 23, 2012
- Rape accused Uttar Pradesh cop arrested - Jul 13, 2012
- 42 Maharashtra personnel to be honoured on Republic Day - Jan 25, 2011
- Women's power reigns in northeastern police - Dec 15, 2011
- Bihar okays creation of 40 women police stations - Nov 03, 2011
- Three cops killed as truck rams into police station - Jun 16, 2012
- Jharkhand Police admit mistakes, to probe ambush killing - May 04, 2011
- President's Police Medal for 2 in Maharashtra list of 38 (With Image) - Jan 25, 2010
- Chandigarh gets its first woman SHO - Jul 01, 2011
- Orders from top: UP Police in makeover drive - Jun 23, 2012
- Mob fury kills police officer (Lead) - Jan 05, 2011
- Men in khaki leave UP government red-faced - Jul 14, 2012
- Goa police officer booked for dowry harassment - Mar 24, 2012
- Police sub-inspector shot dead in Kerala - Sep 12, 2010
- Jaipur shootout: Four cops sent to five days' CBI custody - Mar 12, 2011