Kerala to host national drama festivalMarch 1st, 2009 - 4:56 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, March 1 (IANS) Theatre buffs in Kerala would be treated to more than a dozen award-winning plays at the fifth National Drama Festival that starts here Monday.
The festival will be inaugurated by Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan and will go on till March 12, Information and Public Relations Department (I&PRD) secretary Sheela Thomas told reporters here Sunday.
“All the plays that are going to be staged have won international acclaim. The festival will also include plays by Malayali women directors. All plays were also shown at the recently held Bharath Rang Maholstav in Delhi,” Thomas said.
Abhilash Pillai, the artistic director of the festival, said all the plays focus on the contemporary modern theatre and its dimensions.
“The highlight of the festival would be four studio theatre plays, which do not have stage and are performed among the audience,” Pillai said.
I&PRD acting Director P.K. Lal said: “We expect that this (festival) will rekindle the drama industry. Already 200 delegates have registered and 32 students have completed a week-long orientation course ahead of the festival.”
The plays that would be staged include Macbeth (Malayalam), On Seeing (English, by Zuilekha Choudary), Antigone (Bengali, by Santanu Bose), Charandas Chor (Chhattisgarhi, by Habib Tanvir), Heads are meant for walking into, (multi-lingual, by Maya Krishna Rao) and Sahyande Makan-The Elephant Project (Malayalam/Japanese, by Sinker Venkateswaran).
- Artists should look for art in rural India: Nageen Tanvir (With Image) - Sep 01, 2012
- Delhi gears up for mega winter theatre festival (With Image) - Jan 04, 2011
- Theatre in India driven to desperate survival measures - Oct 21, 2011
- Satyadev Dubey's theatre brought fierce Indianness to stage (Obituary) - Dec 25, 2011
- 'Urumi' wins best film at Madrid film fest - Jun 04, 2012
- Tagore reinterpreted at NSD's Bharat Rang Mahotsav - Jan 03, 2012
- Kerala director to spend IFFI prize money on Oscar promotion - Dec 03, 2011
- Country mourns death of theatre legend Habib Tanvir (Lead) - Jun 08, 2009
- National School Of Drama: ‘Charan Das Chor’ Sets The Mood For Annual Theater Festival - Jan 10, 2011
- National School of Drama's annual theatre festival begins - Jan 08, 2011
- Norwegian master Ibsen comes in Indian folk format - Nov 19, 2010
- Bengal's tallest stage icon passes away at 85 - May 15, 2011
- Jharkhand to have film studio soon - Sep 12, 2012
- Selja assures more funds for theatre (With Image) - Jan 09, 2012
- New content, support set stage for theatre's resurgence (March 27 is World Theatre Day) - Mar 26, 2011