Kerala to form panels to protect workers in Middle EastJune 25th, 2012 - 8:12 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, June 25 (IANS) The state’s Non-Resident Keralites’ Affairs Department (NORKA) will set up advisory committees in the Middle East to protect the rights of migrant kerala workers, a minister said here Monday.
The panels will include representatives from the state government department’s field agency NORKA Roots, Malayalee organisations and eminent non-resident Indians, said Minister for Non-Resident Keralites Affairs K.C. Joseph.
“The committees will look into issues faced by migrant workers in the Middle East and will report and assist Indian embassies and missions in resolving them,” Joseph added.
The minister announced this during a regional consultation on the International Labour Organisation’s Convention 189 on decent work for domestic workers at the Centre for Development Studies (CDS) here.
A study by CDS, an autonomous research institute, recently estimated the number of Kerala emigrants living abroad in 2011 to be 2.28 million, up from 2.19 million in 2008, 1.84 million in 2003 and 1.36 million in 1998.
Countries in the Middle East are preferred destinations for a large number of migrant workers from the state.
- Kerala to float NRK bonds for development projects - Jun 20, 2012
- Muslim migration up in Kerala, Christians lose (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- Kerala readies for next round of migration study - May 25, 2012
- Migration from Kerala growing steadily, shows study - Jan 13, 2012
- Kerala mulls law to protect diaspora investors - Oct 12, 2011
- God's own country to get own airline - Sep 08, 2012
- Welfare scheme for jobless Non-Resident Keralites - Jun 24, 2011
- 37,000 Kerala expats lost jobs due to recession: Study - Dec 01, 2009
- Will always be considerate to Kerala diaspora: Chandy - Dec 29, 2011
- Kerala mulls new bank and university for NRKs - Dec 30, 2011
- Chandy seeks waiver for quick launch of Air Kerala - Sep 13, 2012
- Government pension scheme for Indians abroad - May 03, 2012
- 'Take up issue of stranded Keralites in Saudi Arabia' - Oct 19, 2011
- Kerala plans heritage village for diaspora - Jul 13, 2010
- Involve NRKs in Kerala's development: Vayalar Ravi - Feb 12, 2011
Tags: advisory committees, affairs department, autonomous research institute, countries in the middle east, decent work, emigrants, indian embassies, indians, international labour organisation, migrant workers, missions, norka, regional consultation, roots, state government department, thiruvananthapuram