Kerala to adopt Narayana Guru’s philosophy in educationJanuary 31st, 2012 - 8:28 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Jan 31 (IANS) The Oommen Chandy government Tuesday cleared a committee consisting of education experts to submit a report on how the teachings and philosophy of social reformer Sree Narayana Guru could be included in the education curriculum at both school and college levels.
Minister for Culture K.C. Joseph told reporters here that the experts committee would be headed by eminent educationist M.K. Sanu.
“Once the committee submits its report, we will take the matter up with the Centre to see that the teachings and philosophy of Guru are included in the curriculum at the national level also. In Kerala, we intend to place it at different levels in the school and college curriculum,” said Joseph, who also is the chairman of the Sree Narayana International Study Centre which is moving into a new campus on Feb 8.
Narayana Guru (1856-1928) is a revered leader and is seen as a saint, sage and social reformer. He was born in an Ezhava family in an era when the Ezhava caste faced social injustice due to its precarious position between the upper and lowest strata in the caste hierarchy.
Gurudeva, as he is fondly called, revolted against casteism and worked on propagating social equality coupled with spirituality.
The powerful Ezhava community constitutes over 50 percent of the 3.20 crore Hindu population in Kerala. Hindus constitute 55 percent of Kerala’s population.
“The Centre will now start to offer short term courses on the teachings and philosophy of Guru in partnership with other universities also,” added Joseph.
- Nair, Ezhava communities unite in Kerala - Sep 04, 2012
- Communal politics goes viral in Kerala (Comment) - Apr 10, 2012
- Multi-starrer ''Yugapurushan'' film on Narayana Guru being produced - Jan 22, 2009
- Sukumar Azhikode: A man of the masses (Obituary) - Jan 24, 2012
- Job hopefuls go on hunger strike on Thiru Onam - Aug 29, 2012
- Congress attacks CPI-M for using Christ portrait - Feb 03, 2012
- Yesudas completes 50 years as singer! - Nov 13, 2011
- Tremors, movie focus attention on controversial dam (Letter from Kerala) - Nov 27, 2011
- Kerala unable to honour singer Yesudas with lifetime award - Oct 24, 2011
- Controversy over dress circular to Kerala teachers - Jul 03, 2012
- Argentinians sing bhajans in their own Hastinapur (Feature) - Jul 07, 2011
- Teacher Sashidharan will always remain a student - Sep 05, 2010
- BJP the dark horse in Kerala by-election - Jun 01, 2012
- Court seeks Delhi varsity view on OBC quota in minority colleges - Jun 22, 2012
- Protests in Kerala over denial of seat to Achuthanandan - Mar 17, 2011
Tags: caste, casteism, college curriculum, crore, education curriculum, education experts, educationist, experts committee, guru, gurudeva, hierarchy, hindu population, hindus, oommen chandy, precarious position, sanu, social equality, social injustice, social reformer, strata