Kerala schools reopen after two-month breakJune 4th, 2012 - 2:14 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, June 4 (IANS) A record 350,000 students in Kerala began a new term Monday as schools across the state re-opened after a two-month break.
The state government has decided there would be 200 working days this academic year instead of 194 days in the previous years. Thus, six Saturdays have been declared working days.
“Both of us have decided to take leave for the day because our son is joining Class 1. For the past one year, he was attending a play school which was more of an extended home and he was happy. And now, he is not very keen to go to the new school,” said a couple in Kottayam who are both state government employees.
K. Prakash, who has been doing his bit to help children from the weaker sections of society for the past two decades, distributed school kits to 1,500 children in Kochi and the neighbouring districts.
“We don’t collect a single rupee from anyone to do this. Every year, we do this and distribute school kits including bags, books, umbrellas and other essential items needed for a student. This time too, the response has been good,” said Prakash.
The state government organised functions to welcome children in all the district headquarters on the theme of better relations between teachers and the parent-teacher associations.
- Whose holiday homework is it: Parents or kids? - Jul 01, 2012
- Obama's daughters find him embarrassing - Jan 14, 2012
- Civic agency ropes in schools for anti-dengue drive - Jul 30, 2011
- Great education debate: will it create a revolution or social friction? - Apr 15, 2012
- Government school students in Chandigarh too have buses - Apr 22, 2010
- An appeal to Maoists, administration to reopen school - Feb 15, 2011
- Jaipur schools closed till July 8 - Jul 01, 2012
- Private tuitions by government teachers an offence: Tripura government - Jan 03, 2012
- Delhi schools reopen as cold wave offers respite - Jan 17, 2011
- Safe Sex Kits Banned at New Hampshire High School - Jan 08, 2011
- Fill vacant seats for poor students in summer vacations: Court - Apr 20, 2012
- Teacher conveys apology for using racial slurs against Malay Indian students - Sep 02, 2010
- Birthday party culture comes to UP government schools - Jun 13, 2012
- Chhattisgarh asks schools to honour RTE Act - Feb 15, 2012
- Parents In Detroit Not Attending Teacher Conferences May Land In Jail In Future - Jul 07, 2010
Tags: academic year, decades, district headquarters, k prakash, kochi, kottayam, neighbouring districts, parent teacher associations, play school, previous years, rupee, saturdays, state government employees, umbrellas