Kerala radical group alleges illegal detention of membersSeptember 3rd, 2008 - 10:10 pm ICT by IANS
Palakkad (Kerala), Sep 3 (IANS) Porattom, a radical Left group in Kerala, Wednesday alleged that two of its activists have been illegally detained in Agali in Palakkad district at the behest of the ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M).Porattom activists Sunil Babu and Vinod, both daily wage labourers, were taken into custody Sunday. The police said they had seized CDs of weapon training conducted by Maoists in Nepal and Maoist literature from the them.
Porattom state general convenor M. Ravunni, however, alleged that “the police recorded their arrest only on Tuesday after torturing them for two days in custody. They produced our activists in a court only Tuesday at 9 p.m.”.
He said this was a violation of the Supreme Court directive that those arrested should be produced in court within 24 hours.
“Both our activists were working among tribal people. They were working openly and there is no secrecy in it. Their work was not to the liking of CPI-M activists at Agali. It was at their behest that the police arrested them,” Ravunni told IANS.
He said that the CDs seized from the activists were openly available in the market.
“The literature police seized were articles published in a Malayalam political weekly,” Ravunni said.
Porattom has complained to the state human rights commission against the arrest of the activists, he added.
- Mamata Banerjee slams CPI-M for supplying arms to Maoists - Dec 08, 2010
- Kerala CPI-M leaders to protest Monday - Apr 15, 2012
- IUML worker's murder: Kerala CPI-M leader gets bail - Aug 27, 2012
- Will ask poll panel to cancel CPI-M's registration: UDF - May 28, 2012
- Bhanwari Devi case: Re-arrested suspect sent to 10-days custody - Jul 04, 2012
- CPI-M legislator, 32 others charged in IUML worker murder - Aug 23, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M leader denied bail in murder case - Aug 04, 2012
- Uttar Police claim major crackdown on Maoists (Second Lead) - Feb 09, 2010
- CPI-M leader held for Kerala murder - May 16, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M leader nabbed for former colleague's murder - Jun 29, 2012
- Shutdown in Kerala over CPI-M leader's arrest - Aug 02, 2012
- Two Maoists arrested in Delhi - Oct 05, 2011
- Five Bengal Maoist leaders' police custody extended - Dec 14, 2010
- Prime accused in Chandrasekharan murder case held - Jun 07, 2012
- Italian marines sent to Central Jail (Lead) - Mar 05, 2012