Kerala police official sentenced for torturing editor 11 years agoJanuary 12th, 2009 - 10:32 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, Jan 12 (IANS) A Kerala court Monday sentenced a senior police official and three others to six months imprisonment for custodial torture of a newspaper editor nearly 11 years ago.Ernakulam Chief Judicial Magistrate P.D. Soman handed out the verdict to Additional Director General of Police Prem Sankar and three other officials but gave them a month’s time to file an appeal challenging the sentencing.
Sankar, the then superintendent of police in Kannur, was also fined Rs.25,000 for torturing M. Madhavan, editor of Sudhinam, a popular evening daily, in 1998.
Sankar in February that year had directed his team of officials to raid the newspaper office following a news report in the evening daily.
Madhavan, who later died in 2003, had alleged he was brutally manhandled by the police team.
The case, probed by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), was pursued by the newspaper office after Madhavan’s death.
The court gave a clean chit to eight other accused police officials.
A Sudhinam official said it was a victory for journalism and journalists.
- Pakistani journalist manhandled - Aug 10, 2011
- Actress Kavya's marriage annulled - May 30, 2011
- IUML worker's murder: Kerala CPI-M leader gets bail - Aug 27, 2012
- Setback to Achuthanandan in land grab case - Apr 12, 2012
- Evidence links Achuthanandan's son with jailed 'godman' - Nov 29, 2011
- Shutdown in Kerala over CPI-M leader's arrest - Aug 02, 2012
- Kerala Police, CBI in stand-off - Apr 23, 2012
- Land scam case against me is baseless: Achuthanandan - Aug 17, 2012
- Pictures of politicians, film stars removed from Kerala jails - Jun 17, 2012
- Probe into police attack on Pakistan newspaper - Aug 10, 2011
- Court dismisses plea to probe Chandy in palmoil scam - Oct 28, 2011
- Narendra Modi given clean chit in Godhra riot case - Dec 03, 2010
- Why no vigilance case against Achuthanandan's son, asks court - Dec 15, 2011
- CBI files case against lottery dealers in Kerala - Aug 06, 2011
- CPI-M expels senior leader in Kerala - Jun 24, 2012