Kerala police contact Interpol over fraud by NRIMarch 29th, 2008 - 5:29 pm ICT by admin
Punalur (Kerala), March 29 (IANS) The police here have sought help from Interpol to nab a NRI, earlier living in Britain, who had allegedly feigned death so that her husband could collect insurance. Sara Williams, earlier called Saramma Thomas, hailed from this town about 70 km from the state capital. She is now absconding after Britain’s Nat West Bank complained to the police here.
Now in her mid thirties, Sara was living in Surrey for over a decade. In 2000, her husband told Nat West Bank she had died in Kerala and made a 200,000-pound insurance claim.
The bank became suspicious and sent an official here to make enquiries at Punalur municipality, which had issued Sara’s death certificate.
The official also called on Sara’s mother and went to the home parish of her church, where there was reportedly no record of her funeral.
The bank then complained to the police, which filed a case of cheating. George Varghese, superintendent of police, told IANS that 90 percent of the investigation was over and Sara was currently named the “first accused”.
“The case was registered in 2000 and we took over the investigation in 2003. We have now charge sheeted eight people here and it includes a village council member and employees at the Punalur municipality who had helped her get a death certificate. We are now in the final stages of the investigation,” said Varghese.
A few days back, the police put out a wanted notice for Sara in all leading newspapers here, complete with her photograph.
There’s a twist in the tale: Sara’s husband, who had actually made the false claim, died in 2002.
- Bigger conspiracy in killing, says murdered priest's widow - May 09, 2010
- CBI questions head of Syrian Jacobite Church in murder case - Oct 21, 2011
- Former Kerala cop gets life term for Maoist's murder - Oct 28, 2010
- Man receives his death certificate! - Jan 21, 2011
- Mom pretended to be dead son to collect insurance money - Jun 06, 2012
- Kerala nurses stranded in Saudi Arabia - Mar 11, 2012
- Ex IGP Lakshamana sentenced to life imprisonment in fake encounter case - Oct 28, 2010
- Emotional farewell for metre gauge train in Kerala - Sep 19, 2010
- Ex-IGP gets life imprisonment in Naxalite A. Varghese murder case - Oct 29, 2010
- Stepfather held in China for drowning kid - Feb 04, 2012
- Doctor detained in murder of mentally-ill woman in Bengal - Jul 15, 2012
- Court extends detention of Italian ship for a day more - Feb 28, 2012
- 40 years on, cops face heat for killing Maoist - Apr 13, 2010
- Chandy inducts two new ministers, shuffles portfolios (Lead) - Apr 12, 2012
- Dowry death: Victim's brothers-in-law get anticipatory bail - Jun 22, 2012